New to TrueNAS SCALE

flatline69

Dabbler
Hi Community,

I used FreeNAS years ago and had been using OMV for several years. When I came across SCALE I figured I'd give it another go (I didn't have problems with FreeNAS itself but my needs had changed) and wow I'm impressed. Currently running TrueNAS-SCALE-21.01-MASTER-20210129-132922

I've searched the forums here and I see others are having similar issues but I have yet to see a solid answer to this question (I've seen suggestions and tried those but it doesn't work for me.) My need is simple, I'm deploying Docker containers, which works just fine from CLI, but none of them have Internet access. My TrueNAS does have Internet access via LAG/bond0, of course as the other posts indicated. I do not want to use HOST networking as my previous NAS installation (OMV) this was not necessary and even frowned upon from a security-perspective. I can access my containers without issue on the local LAN at present.

I saw a post about using a tool called kompose to convert docker-compose.yaml to Kubernetes but unfortunately this doesn't work as kubectl (which I had to install) cannot connect (default port 8080; I tried changing the environment to point to localhost:6443 both http/https and the furthest I could get was getting a login which resulted in a certificate error. Even supplying the option to ignore certificates, I can login but get unauthorized. I pretty much gave up here as I cannot find "admin.conf" from Kubernetes that all the other Internet searches refer to.

I even tried a suggestion on Reddit about creating your own bridge interface and then Docker network tied to the adapter and joining the container to that network but the results are the same, the container cannot access the Internet (ie; ping 1.1.1.1) and I've even tried forcing containers to start with --dns pointing to my local upstream DNS but that didn't work either.

I tried spinning up containers using the UI but it's very painful to do so -- it's kind of slow in Chrome and the UI while designed to help users step-by-step requires too much input and the additional options using the + requires a lot of scrolling. It'd be nice if I could just ingest a docker-compose.yaml here and let it do it's thing.

Either way I'm now at the point where I figure I'm just missing something but stuck and run out of all avenues for searching. How can I deploy my docker containers and ensure they have Internet access through TrueNAS without having to use HOST networking? I have quite an application stack to deploy but they all rely on having Internet access through the host Docker system and previously did not require me to enable HOST networking to achieve this.

Other than this, it's been a real treat using SCALE but this is fast becoming a serious issue and while I recognize it's my lack of knowledge hindering me and that SCALE is still ALPHA, I may have to start over with OMV again which I don't want to do.

Appreciate any responses in advance.

shadofall

Contributor
I feel you on on the wanting to get off OMV. i'm just waiting to move data from my OMV to my new hardware which i plan to put scale on soon as its a little better position. maybe 21.02 (keeping my OMV in the corner of course as a backup of the data ;))

I'm not going to pretend to understand the Docker/Kubernetes relationship and how they work together and how much the behavior changes vs just Docker by its self, altho i am starting to understand Kube at a little more than basic level now ;) but Containers in SCALE are pretty much still Preview level in current builds, and the UI is pretty much proof of concept with lots of hard coding, with anything beyond host networking needing to get down in to iptables and such i think (same post as kompose was mentioned i believe also mentioned iptables)

Once serviceLB (or is it MetalLB? i'm starting to blur on terms from research) goes in that should simplify things a little as well i believe

also kubectl is kinda hidden behind k3s so if you see something that says use kubectl you would actually run 'k3s kubectl' which is mentioned in the scale DEV notes

flatline69

Dabbler