New to FreeNAS with a performance issue :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMe

Dabbler
Hi,

Sorry if I have poor grammar I'm a french Canadian . (Hum, a Canadian being sorry... Am I reinforcing a stereotype ? )
Anyway, I just started tinkering with freeNAS with some old hardware I have just to see how it works before I invest but I have an issue that I did not managed to solve. The problem is that I have really low performance when I try to upload a file from my laptop over wifi to the NAS. It's around 10 MB/s at max but if I upload directly this file to an other computer that is running windows I get around 75MB/s. What's confusing is that from my main desktop computer that's using ethernet I can send files to the NAS at 110 MB/s. This means that it's faster for me to send a file from my laptop to my desktop and then send it to the NAS than to directly send it to the NAS. So I would be really thanfull if you could give me ideas on how to solve this problem :)

Thank you for your time

Dice

Wizard
What hardware are you running at?
What FreeNAS configuration (drives, raid etc) is used?
What version of FreeNAS is used?

Last edited by a moderator:

JustMe

Dabbler
-Hardware
CPU: Pentium g3258
Motherboard: msi h81m p33
12 Go non ecc ram
HDD: 2x western digital blue 3 Tb
PSU: seasonic G serie 550w

I tried running the drives in mirror and I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.2

Thank you for your fast reply :)

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
-Hardware
CPU: Pentium g3258
Motherboard: msi h81m p33
12 Go non ecc ram
HDD: 2x western digital blue 3 Tb
PSU: seasonic G serie 550w

I tried running the drives in mirror and I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.2

Thank you for your fast reply :)
How is your network configured? What router or switch are you using?

JustMe

Dabbler
My router is a cheap archer C7 from tp-link that I got at best buy when my old cisco router died a year ago
The NAS and my desktop are both connected using ethernet cable and my laptop uses wifi. What's odd is that the transfer rate are much better between the laptop and the desktop than between the laptop and the NAS

m0nkey_

MVP
The problem is that I have really low performance when I try to upload a file from my laptop over wifi to the NAS.
Salut! Welcome to the forums my fellow Quebecois. :)

This is to be expected. WiFi isn't the best when copying/moving files around. It seems you have no issues when wired, so this at first glance does not appear to be FreeNAS issue, but a WiFi issue.

There is going to be very little you can do to improve the performance. Even if your WiFi connects are 400Mbps or more, in reality you are going to see little in terms of actual transfer speeds. I have the same issue with a PC on the wireless network, it's great for Netflix and web browsing, but for file management it sucks.

edit: a word.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Salut! Welcome to the forums my fellow Quebecois. :)

This is to be expected. WiFi isn't the best when copying/moving files around. It seems you have no issues when wired, so this at first glance does not appear to be FreeNAS issue, but a WiFi issue.

There is going to be very little you can do to improve the performance. Even if your WiFi connects are 400Mbps or more, in reality you are going to see little in terms of actual transfer speeds. I have the same issue with a PC on the wireless network, it's great for Netflix and web browsing, but for file management it sucks.

edit: a word.
Agreed.

But it's puzzling... @JustMe states that his wifi transfer rate from laptop-to-desktop is much higher than from laptop-to-FreeNAS: you'd think they would be roughly the same.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

JustMe

Dabbler
Salut et merci ;)

As spearfoot said what's odd is that I get 7.5 time faster transfer rate from laptop to desktop even if I'm using wifi
I'll install windows on the nas server to see if it changes something
I'm actually out buying a usb key since I just ran out

Last edited:

JustMe

Dabbler
Just tested with windows on the server and I get way better transfer rate from the laptop. I'll try with an intel nic when I'll get my hands on one

zoomzoom

Guru
@JustMe
  • Are you using an AC wifi card, and if so, which one?
    • If you are, what channel is your 5.8gHz network set to and is your WiFi card set to the same channel?
    • If you're not using an AC WiFi card, you can grab an Intel AC8260 on Newegg for ~$30USD.
      • If utilizing Windows 10, avoid Broadcom AC cards
  • Have you performed any custom tuning in the WiFi card properties, as unless one does so, it's likely they won't get full performance out of the WiFi card.
  • Are you running the most recent firmware on the router and the most recent drivers for your WiFi card?
  • What is the dB level of your connection and what is the speed listed under Adapter Properties [Windows]?
As to your LAN speeds, are all the NICs gigabit [i.e. 1000Base-T], because if the are, there should be at least a 30MByte/s transfer difference in speed as I can transfer files over AC WiFi at ~75+ MByte/s (600+ Mbit/s) when I have full signal strength (~115MByte/s over ethernet)
  • Keep in mind higher transfer speeds will generally only occur when transferring large[r] files

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
I'd try doing some iperf tests.

JustMe

Dabbler
@Stux
I'll do the iperf tests and I'll post the results during the day

@zoomzoom
-My laptop is an XPS 15 9550 running an broadcom 1830 chip

I know broadcom AC card are not the best but I had consistent transfer speed using it while transfering files from my laptop to my desktop and I never had any issues regarding stability so I did not intended to changes it. I get around 625 mbps from laptop to desktop but only a meager 80 mbps from laptop to NAS using to same file

I have not done any any tuning of the wifi cards since I had good transfer rate using windows ~650mbps

The drivers are the most recent available but I did not try updating the firmware of the router. I'll do that since It can't hurt

The signal strength is quite good. I get an RSSI of -45 and the speeds listed is between 867 mbps and 1300 mbps depending on where I am

Finally, the chanel used is 53+157

zoomzoom

Guru
@JustMe Try changing the SMB version to a higher value on FreeNAS, especially if running Windows 10, as it sounds like it's a Samba config issue

JustMe

Dabbler
@zoomzoom
@Stux

Just did some Iperf test. Here are the results

Laptop to server running freenas ~95-105 mbps (wifi)

Laptop to server running windows ~440-475 mbps (wifi)

Desktop to server running freenas ~950 mbps (Ethernet)

Desktop to server running windows ~950mbps (Ethernet)

I'll try tinkering with the SMB version and I'll post the results

Again, thank you of taking some time to help me :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Stux

MVP
Laptop to server running freenas ~95-105 mbps (wifi)

That's your problem. It's a networking issue. Not samba.

I do believe there has been a similar issue posted to this forum in the past.

There is probably some obscure tcp tuning parameter which will fix it.

Now to confirm, your NAS is only connected by gigabit, is your wifi network bridged to your wired network? Ie does your wifi laptop have an IP on the same subnet as the NAS?

JustMe

Dabbler
That's what I thought

Yes the nas is connected by gigabit

About the network, everything is connected on the same router and everything is working on the same subnet

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.