New to FreeNAS, my example build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethg

Cadet
Hi, folks!

My name is Seth, and I'm an IT analyst for an R1 university in the US. At home, I have a 4yr. old Synology DS211j, so I'm looking to retire it in the near future. As I've grown in my knowledge of Linux/Mac, I've become particularly attached to open source software like FreeNAS.

I did my reading through the FreeNAS docs (yes, I RTFM...) and I built my first example system. I've got a limited budget at this time, so the system is designed with the ability to enhance bits of it over time. At my house, it's just two Mac laptops using the NAS for Time Machine backup store and for flat file storage. I also plan on installing the Plex and CrashPlan plugins, as well.

Based on the above use case, what do you all think of my example build?

--FULL BUILD: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wYLG99
--OVERVIEW:
    • CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz
    • Motherboard: ASRock E3C222D4U µATX
    • RAM: 1x8GB Samsung ECC DDR3-1600
    • Storage: 3 x 3TB WD Red 3.5" HDDs
    • PSU: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular
--TOTAL COST: ~$809.00
Thanks a bunch for your input in advance, I look forward to learning more from you all!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
At my house, it's just two Mac laptops using the NAS for Time Machine backup store and for flat file storage.
For these requirements, your proposed build looks adequate. Note that I'm not verifying your mobo/CPU combo. You can put your 3 drives in a RAIDZ1 configuration and sustain the failure of 1 drive without data loss. RAIDZ2 is preferred for large drives (i.e. > 1TB), so if your budget can stretch to a 4th drive, that would be better.
I also plan on installing the Plex and CrashPlan plugins, as well.
You might be short of RAM for this, especially Plex. 2x8GB would be a much better bet.

Agreed, 4 HDD's in a raidZ2.

Should be OK with the 8GB of ram. I ran plex with that on a test system but don't expect to run a ton of streams or a whole lot of other stuff and file transfers can take a hit when streaming compared to without. 16GB would be much better. The more plugins you think about running the more you have to think about increasing the ram.

On the PSU, the guys who have been around quite a while always head for the Seasonic ones.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You should heed @Robert Trevellyan advice on the memory suggestion. 8GB is the minimum for a basic filer with an average to small size pool. Once you start increasing pool size or want to run plugins/jails you really need to add more memory for a reliable system.

JDCynical

Contributor
I believe your memory selection is incorrect.

The link in the park picker lists registered ECC, and it appears that the board uses unbuffered.

EDIT: Also, checking the CPU Support list on the ASRock page, the CPU isn't listed as supported.

sethg

Cadet
All,

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I saw the recommendation for 16GB of RAM in the build guides, but I was wondering exactly how much I would benefit since it would be a low-demand system. Same thing with adding another HDD and changing to RAIDZ2. I will making these adjustments in my build.

To be direct, I was not familiar with SeaSonic PSU's. Is it a reputation or a quality rationale for choosing this particular brand? I'd be willing to give them a shot, so thanks for the recommendation.

I believe your memory selection is incorrect.

The link in the park picker lists registered ECC, and it appears that the board uses unbuffered.

EDIT: Also, checking the CPU Support list on the ASRock page, the CPU isn't listed as supported.

@Justin The Cynical, you are very astute! I checked the list and you're totally right about the CPU support... good catch! I'll swap the i3-4170 out for i3-4360, which is supported. You're also right about the memory, so I've also fixed that mistake.

I've changed the build based on the recommendations you all have made above. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

moo083

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.