New to FreeNAS and ZFS (and a possible converter from UnRAID)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

A little background on me and my experience with data storage. I work at a company where we store well over 50 TB of data. I discovered unRAID over 5 years ago - and that has served its purpose, but due some hardware failure, I have been tasked to find a better solution to what we have - either upgrade unRAID or find another solution. Although I have found some things I can do to improve our current unRAID server (which will probably happen even if we keep the unRAID server as a backup), I started looking for alternatives and whala! I stumbled upon FreeNAS. I am very comfortable building my own unit, but I am open to purchasing pre-built units that come with guarantees.

I looking forward to learning more about FreeNAS and learning from and contributing to the FreeNAS community!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forums!

iXsystems is the developer of FreeNAS and offers TrueNAS, a commercial variant available with support, and hardware as well. Depending on your company's needs, you may want to go this route instead of 'rolling your own' FreeNAS server.

Either way... good luck!

iXsystems seems to offer some solutions that could meet our needs. As it turns out, I am eagerly waiting to hear back from them so we can discuss quotes! ;)

To give them credit, I did just make the request this morning and I am assured that they are 'assigning your request to the appropriate Solutions Architect for your project'. Still, I am waiting eagerly...

Status
Not open for further replies.