New setup! RAID1 Degraded, already? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hiawatha Bray

Just set up FreeNAS on an old computer, using two brand new SATA drives. All looked good. But now I see under Disk/Status, a message that says the RAID is "degraded." I understand that means I have a defective disk. How? They're both brand new. I look at the log and I repeatedly see this message--

kernel: ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=2132466370

kernel: ad10: FAILURE - READ_DMA48 status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=10<NID_NOT_FOUND> LBA=2132466370

These messages pop up over and over. It suggests repeated errors from one of my drives. What could be causing it? Could the drive really be defective? Help!

ProtoSD

MVP
Yes, it can happen, it happens a lot more often than it should.... that's why we have redundant storage arrays... and backups! ;)

just for fun, if you know how to get to the command line, you could look at the SMART info 'smartclt -a /dev/ada10'

If you're lucky the drive is less than 30days old and you can get another new one. If you're not, then you RMA your disk and probably end up with a refurbished disk that probably isn't any better than the one you have now....

One of my brand new drives failed about 31 days after I got it.....

I seem to recall that 5%you of all tech sold was defective in some fashion. Return it and aite that it failed. Get a new one and try again.

Darkaine

Explorer
Agree, drives (and alot of other tech) fails more often than they should. Plus then you have the "Infant Mortality" of drives (Drives that fail within the first few weeks). Backblaze runs over 9000 drives, and they share their experience at http://blog.backblaze.com/ , not a bad read.

Status
Not open for further replies.