DEGRADED error troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
All started with this error:

-One or more of the drives has experienced an error. Applications may be affected.

Now the state of the ZFS pool is listed as DEGRADED and has come checksum errors.

I went and did some forum surfing and troubleshooting with Hiren's Boot CD. I did a Memtest86+ and found a lot of errors (about 300K). I also did a SeaTools HD scan (short test and all 3 drives passed).

I'm lead to believe that the RAM is faulty. It's not an ideal setup, most of the parts are from different salvaged machines but they're decent (you could call it prosumer I guess), I'm just trying the whole FreeNas thing out before I go deep into it.

My question is:

1. Can I just swap the RAM out with some new fresh RAM and I'm all good?
2. Or should I do a whole re-configure (reformat etc.)?

Wondering if all the data is corrupted now that I've seen the zpool error message and the DEGRADED status. I have all the data backed up so I'm not SOL here. Thanks in advance..

System Configuration Information:

1. FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE
2. Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
2. Processor: Intel Core i5-760 (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz)
3. RAM: 8GB G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 1333 MHz
4. HDD: 3x Seagate Barracuda 1TB in RAIDZ1

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Which hard drive is having problems?

Which hard drive is having problems?

They all show checksum errors. The first drive has more than the other two. There were never really any problems with the drives or the data that I noticed, I'm just wondering why I went from HEALTHY status to DEGRADED.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
If you have full backup then I'd change the RAM (the whole system to have ECC RAM in fact...), destroy the pool and remake it :)

gpsguy

If you like FreeNAS and would like to continue using it, I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to an ECC capable system. Neither your motherboard, nor CPU will work with ECC RAM. Check out our hardware stickies for recommendations.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Everything seems to be in working order after the RAM swap, I've also rebuilt the zpool just to have a fresh start. I will definitely be creating a build in the near future with some of this forums recommended specs but I wanted to get the hang of all tech before that project. Great forum here, tons of info... Keep it up dudes and rock on.

Status
Not open for further replies.