New rig, old hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys... I've no doubt that this has probably been asked and answered before, but im not exactly sure what to search for... BUT:
Can i take my current FreeNAS USB, and the current 4 hard drives I have installed, and migrate them to a new rig without suffering data loss or without having to dump all of the data off, then back on? I don't care if I break jails in the swap, only care about data retention.

(If its possible, I'd like to swap USB and HDDs to new rig, use old rig and some spare drives to dump all data, stress test new rig and first set of hard drives... then dump everything back... but my spare rig (backup of current as far as hardware is concerned w/ no drives) apparently has a bad power supply. My second rig (an older mac pro) runs Linux like it is the wrong language... that leaves me with my t3500 (current FreeNAS) and my t7500 (what I want as my FreeNAS) to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Green750one

Dabbler
Yes. You can take the disks and boot USB and stick them on another motherboard and fire it up. Doesn't matter what order the disks are connected, as long as the boot config is the same FreeNAS will sort all that out itself.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only possible issue is if you've manually configured a network interface, and the NIC on the new system uses a different driver. In that case, you'll need to reconfigure the NIC, which you can do at the console menu. Otherwise, no issues.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If its possible, I'd like to swap usb and HDDs to new rig, use old rig and some spare drives to dump all data, stress test new rig and first set of hard drives... then dump everything back...
I am not sure what this is about, but if you want to test the hardware of the new system, there isn't much point in moving your NAS drives over to it before you do the stress test of the system. A nice thing about those Dell Precision T7500 systems is that they have diagnostics built into the firmware. Just press F-11 during boot to get the boot menu and pick diagnostics.

I am not sure what this is about, but if you want to test the hardware of the new system, there isn't much point in moving your NAS drives over to it before you do the stress test of the system. A nice thing about those Dell Precision T7500 systems is that they have diagnostics built into the firmware. Just press F-11 during boot to get the boot menu and pick diagnostics.

Testing the Hard Drives... not the whole system. Sorry, I didn't make that very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.