New, need help on alert message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan1996

Cadet
Alert System show "CRITICAL: xxx. xx, xxxx, x:xx a.m. - Device: /dev/da6 [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors".

What does it mean and what action is needed? Thank you.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Alert System show "CRITICAL: xxx. xx, xxxx, x:xx a.m. - Device: /dev/da6 [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors".

What does it mean and what action is needed? Thank you.
It means that, "Device: /dev/da6," curently has 8 unreadable / pending sectors....

Expressed a little less cryptically, the SAS (da) device that was recognized 6th during bootup, not necesarily on port 6, has developed sectors that are not readable. You can think of those sectors as being 'bad' and if the drive is under warranty, you should contact the vendor to see if you can get a replacement. If it isn't under warranty, you might want to order one in.

I have seen drives go from just a few bad sectors to thousands in a few days, and I have seen it take longer, so you never know.
Best to be on the safe side and replace it.

PS. It is always nice to have more information about the system, but this looked pretty straight forward.
Here is a little guide on the kind of information we usually like to get for troubleshooting:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Do you need help identifying which drive corresponds to da6?

alan1996

Cadet
It means that, "Device: /dev/da6," curently has 8 unreadable / pending sectors....

Expressed a little less cryptically, the SAS (da) device that was recognized 6th during bootup, not necesarily on port 6, has developed sectors that are not readable. You can think of those sectors as being 'bad' and if the drive is under warranty, you should contact the vendor to see if you can get a replacement. If it isn't under warranty, you might want to order one in.

I have seen drives go from just a few bad sectors to thousands in a few days, and I have seen it take longer, so you never know.
Best to be on the safe side and replace it.

PS. It is always nice to have more information about the system, but this looked pretty straight forward.
Here is a little guide on the kind of information we usually like to get for troubleshooting:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

Thanks Chris.

The HDD is under warranty, will get vendor to change it.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.