Adata SSDs ERRORS

francomartin33

Dabbler
Hello everyone, I have two Adata Su650 ssds on my freenas box. Im having all sorts of errors. Both drives are almost new (3-4 months) What are the odds of both of them failing now?
They are under vm load but they dont write or read too much. One is being used as LOG and the other one for cache.

• CRITICAL: Feb. 11, 2019, 9:36 a.m. - Device: /dev/da5 [SAT], 4 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

• CRITICAL: Feb. 19, 2019, 6:40 a.m. - Device: /dev/da5 [SAT], 2 Offline uncorrectable sectors

• CRITICAL: Feb. 20, 2019, 9:50 p.m. - Device: /dev/da5 [SAT], 10 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

• CRITICAL: Feb. 20, 2019, 9:50 p.m. - Device: /dev/da5 [SAT], 7 Offline uncorrectable sectors

• CRITICAL: Feb. 11, 2019, 9:36 a.m. - Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], 23 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

• CRITICAL: Feb. 11, 2019, 9:36 a.m. - Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

• CRITICAL: Feb. 20, 2019, 9:50 p.m. - Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], 38 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

• CRITICAL: Feb. 20, 2019, 9:50 p.m. - Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], 2 Offline uncorrectable sectors

• CRITICAL: March 3, 2019, 7:46 p.m. - Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!

Meyers

Patron
Could it be that you got a bad batch? I would remove them ASAP if you haven't already. And I don't think this is a hard requirement, but I would go with data center class drives for log/cache.

francomartin33

Dabbler
Damn... Ill get some better ones then... I was hoping it would be normal for some reason

Meyers

Patron
Definitely not normal!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There have been some types of drives that show what appear to be compatibility errors in FreeNAS and just don't work reliably.
All the Intel SSDs have been solid for me. The latest model I have use are the Intel DC S3520 Series 960GB:
1551898395930.png
Some models of Samsung, but not all, Pro good, Evo bad.

I have also had good service from the Kingston SSD now 300 drives like this:
1551897518424.png
I have some of those, in mirrored pairs for boot drives in servers at work that have been running quite a while with no errors.

Meyers

Patron
I used similar ADATA drives for OS / boot for months w/o issue. Very low utilization though. I use the iXsystems official ZIL/cache SSDs on one system. Otherwise I'd probably buy data center class for anything else.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello everyone, I have two Adata Su650 ssds on my freenas box. Im having all sorts of errors. Both drives are almost new (3-4 months) What are the odds of both of them failing now?
Any update on this situation?

francomartin33

Dabbler
Any update on this situation?
Yes, I bought two new kingston ssds and called it a day. one of the drives doesnt show smart errors when using 3rd party tools and the other one is completly dead.
I bought the same SSD for a laptop from the same place and it is showing the same behaviour, sometimes it doesnt even show in the bios. So I contacted ADATA and they didnt seem to give a crap about what I was saying so yeah.

Thank you for your interest.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I contacted ADATA and they didnt seem to give a crap about what I was saying so yeah.
That doesn't speak highly of Adata SSDs. Thanks for reporting back.

shinsemnia

Cadet
My experience with ADATA:

I just bought this adata same as TS su650 248Gb as a boot drive and now I got all sort of problem after I using this ssd in several days only. The ssd idle temperature is 54-59C and highest I got 68C. The worst part is it seems it cause damage to my BIOS also. I setup this in my laptop and I see slow POST not complete boot up, but only POST takes more than 10 sec after several hours setting up only. Then no POST at all, I cannot boot my laptop. After that I tested this SSD in my desktop PC, I can boot up just fine at first in my desktop. So, I think other hardware is failing in my laptop. Then after several 1-2 hours I try restarting my desktop PC, slow POST also happen to this desktop PC. Then I try restart again, no POST also happen to my desktop PC. Try turning on nothing come up. I try cmos reset and can boot with slow POST. Then I shutdown, remove the SSD, reset CMOS, setup my previous desktop pc ssd and Wallaa!!! No problem. So, in my experience, this Adata SSD su650 is a shitty SSD not worth to be considered buying although its the cheapest one. I would not say ADATA produce bad product as I also own Adata ssd pro sp900 and its working great after 5 years of using but this specifically su650 is a bad model. DO NOT BUY THIS ADATA SSD SU650 NOT WORTH IT.

I try sending for warranty claim but need to wait several weeks for them to check. I will update if I can get exchange but I think if it is a bad model, exchange also do nothing much. I have done exchange on a bad model microsd card Adata once and even after exchange to a new one nothing fix the problem, it become corrupted after several use. No use for exchange as it is a bad model.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

proto

Patron
So, in my experience, this Adata SSD su650 is a crapty SSD not worth to be considered buying although its the cheapest one.

I got them in mirror... no problems until a restart, then @ boot just before loader:
failed to read pad2 area of primary vdev
One of the disk disappeared after reboot... from BIOS, so my mirror started degraded.

I had no time to test it and I swapped with a single Kingston a400 SSD.

shinsemnia

Cadet
I got them in mirror... no problems until a restart, then @ boot just before loader:
failed to read pad2 area of primary vdev
One of the disk disappeared after reboot... from BIOS, so my mirror started degraded.

I had no time to test it and I swapped with a single Kingston a400 SSD.
I kind of regret testing it actually, my desktop pc can boot up after clear cmos. But my laptop dead for a day even after clear cmos by removing battery, the next day it can boot into Bios but this is a first time happen to me after clear cmos cannot boot.

proto

Patron
I kind of regret testing it actually, [...]

It's a waste of time... bad SSDs.
Ah wait, I tried to test them against ADATA test utilities under my Win10 laptop, but they don't run if not directly attached to SATA AHCI port... not via USB. So bye bye adata. I don't want to open an RMA even.

Phonix

Cadet
I have to disagree with everyone speaking positively about intel ssd.

I am having issues with the 10 pieces of SSD's that i'm using.
the SSD' are Intel 545s 256GB.
I'm getting the following error after fully long initialising the SSD using Dell IDrac9.
On the Idrac9 dashboard all seems to be OK, but the errors are on Freenas:

Feb 14 18:06:20 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!
Feb 14 18:06:20 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.
Feb 14 18:06:21 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da12 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!
Feb 14 18:06:21 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da12 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.
Feb 14 18:06:22 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da13 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!
Feb 14 18:06:22 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da13 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.
Feb 14 18:06:22 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da10 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!
Feb 14 18:06:23 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da10 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.
Feb 14 18:06:23 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da9 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!
Feb 14 18:06:24 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da9 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.

Even after full initialisation and Clear (Who takes around 30 mins) using IDRAC9 and a PERC H730 Adapter in HBA mode.
Also Cryptographic erase, nothing helps.
I got the Intel 545s replaced under warranty and after two to three weeks got the same issues.
I start to suspect that something in the design of those 545s goes bad after cryptographic erase or full initialization...
All other consumer ssds I use (Kingston, crucial, etc) are fully OK.