New NAS build using old Dell server

Can I use ECC Registered RAM on a mobo that has ECC unbuffered RAM?

• Yes, it will work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it won't work

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayRider

Cadet
Hey guys, firstly, thanks for the wealth on information on the forum here. I'm getting ready to setup my first NAS build. I've picked up a free Dell SC440 server and would like to use this machine for the NAS. It comes with a Pentium D 2.8 GHz, which I think should be enough but the RAM is only 4 GB DDR2 ECC unbuffered.

I've read Cyberjock's manual and have been cruising the FreeNAS manual and understand that I should have at least 16 GB RAM. I've been looking for DDR2 ECC unbuffered RAM sticks but not having any luck, or least none in a reasonable price range. This is not for production use, just simple home use, so don't want to sink a lot of money into the build.

I've found 16 GB DDR2 Registered ECC RAM on ebay. I know they are not the same thing as unbuffered, but will it work? Or if my motherboard has DDR2 ECC unbuffered now, does it mean I can only upgrade with DDR2 ECC unbuffered?

Thanks

EHN Admin

Dabbler
I can not answer your specific question, but I will leave you with this bit of advice. Given frugality seems important to you.
In general more RAM is better, but depending on your needs 4 GB may(may) be enough. I have a NAS with only 8 GB and untill I started implementing Jails on it, it more than met my need for file sharing. Every system is different I would recommend building it first with the RAM you have and then after reviewing the Cache size and hit rate decide if you really need more.

JayRider

Cadet
Thanks, that's some good advice. Although I think FreeNAS might not be the best for this system at the moment. I do want to host owncloud, so 4 GB is probably not going to cut it on a ZFS system.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Answer, to your question depends on the kind of motherboard. Most motherboards (system boards) that support Registered ECC will also accept Unbuffered ECC, they just won't take as much. System boards that only support Unbuffered, will totally not work at all with Registered.

So, it depends.

PS: That system maxes out at 4GB, see the spec sheet:
http://www.dell.com/downloads/ap/products/servers/en/PESC440_spec_ap.pdf

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks, that's some good advice. Although I think FreeNAS might not be the best for this system at the moment. I do want to host owncloud, so 4 GB is probably not going to cut it on a ZFS system.
You probably need to take a little step forward to a system that uses DDR3 memory. There are plenty of used servers on eBay that are selling in the $200 to $500 range, with processor and memory in place, just add hard drives.

tvsjr

Guru
You're not going to be happy with the outcome of 4GB RAM, even running just bare FreeNAS. Plus, that processor has a front-side bus, which is sub-optimal for FreeNAS. In short... you got a 12 year old server for free for a reason. While it might be sufficient for some things, it's not going to cut it for FreeNAS, at least if you want decent speed.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It comes with a Pentium D 2.8 GHz, which I think should be enough but the RAM is only 4 GB DDR2 ECC unbuffered
I use a system with similar specs to run Linux and it isn't too bad, just to do some simple things, but you would want the OS on a SSD to make it as responsive as possible.

To add to the nails in the coffin you will not be able to use this with bhyve so no VM's and the performance is going to be really bad in anything that needs a decent modern cpu to work in a jail so don't expect to be using plex.

In fact I probably wouldn't use that cpu for a desktop. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+D+2.80GHz&id=1126

tvsjr

Guru
I use a system with similar specs to run Linux and it isn't too bad, just to do some simple things, but you would want the OS on a SSD to make it as responsive as possible.
Sure, for a basic desktop. But a basic desktop isn't running ZFS, with all of the overhead (well-justified overhead, but still) that entails. An SSD only helps you at boot/update time.. FreeNAS runs out of RAM most of the time.

In short... it's a 12 year old, poorly-performing-even-when-it-was-new, FSB-based, eats-power-90-watt-TDP processor. It's time to send it to the happy hunting ground and find an upgrade. Where FN is concerned, it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

I know, I know, harsh.

JayRider

Cadet
Thanks for that, Chris. Yeah 4GB is all this board is going to see.

There are plenty of used servers on eBay that are selling in the $200 to $500 range, with processor and memory in place, just add hard drives.
Will be on the hunt for one of those!

While it might be sufficient for some things, it's not going to cut it for FreeNAS, at least if you want decent speed.
Right, this machine is not going to be good for FreeNAS. In the meantime, I've set it up as a basic webserver to self-host mattermost for family chat.

In fact I probably wouldn't use that cpu for a desktop.
Yup but seems fine as a headless ubuntu server.

I know, I know, harsh.
Haha, thank you, Sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.