New jailed Plex install

VulcanRidr

Explorer
I'm having an issue with my jailed plex server on my TrueNAS 13.0u2 NAS, and I hope that some kind soul will point out what I missed. I had it working for several years, using the FreeNAS plugin within Free/TrueNAS, and while Plex was working, managing the jail via ansible did not. So I tried building a basejail through the web interface, doing my standard configuration on it through ansible, then installing plexmediaserver.

My media is on the NAS in /mnt/NX80101/media/{music,pictures,video/Movies,video/TV_Shows}. So I went into Jails -> mount points, and connected /mnt/NX80101/media to /mnt/NX80101/iocage/jails/bashir/root/usr/local/plexdata/Plex. I originally tried using /mnt/NX80101/iocage/jails/bashir/root/mnt, because that is where I connected it in the previous install. I can see it from the command line in the jail:

[root@bashir Plex]# ls -1 /usr/local/plexdata/Plex
music
pictures
video

However, when I go into the Plex webUI, and go into and drill down to /usr/local/plexdata/Plex, there is nothing under that directory:

plex_add_folder.png

so plex says that all of the libraries are empty, because it can't see any files.

What step did I miss in setting this up?

Thanks,
--vr

Does the plex user have read access to these folders?
Maybe provide the output of ls -l /usr/local/plexdata/Plex as opposed to ls -1 /usr/local/plexdata/Plex

VulcanRidr

Explorer
Does the plex user have read access to these folders?
Maybe provide the output of ls -l /usr/local/plexdata/Plex as opposed to ls -1 /usr/local/plexdata/Plex
Hi Jurgen,

It has group read (and write) access. In the jail:

[root@bashir ~]# grep plex /etc/group
media:*:2000:plex
plex:*:972:

and on the NAS:

root@luna[~]# grep plex /etc/group
builtin_users:*:545:plex
plex:*:1000:
media_1:*:2000:storm,plex
media:*:8675309:storm,plex

Note that the media user on the NAS side was created after the media_1 (which was originally created as media). Not sure when/why group 8657309 was created. So here is the directory the directory listing:

find /usr/local/plexdata/Plex -maxdepth 1 -type d -exec ls -l {} \;
total 114
drwxrwx--- 24 storm 8675309 26 Jan 28 2022 music
drwxrwx--- 10 storm media 12 Jun 10 2021 pictures
drwxrwx--- 8 storm media 8 Sep 30 22:55 video

Do newer versions of plex require the target directories be owned by the plex user?

VulcanRidr

Explorer
Do newer versions of plex require the target directories be owned by the plex user?

Apparently this is not the case. I was able to get the directories loaded. Not sure what combination of things did it, but my media is now displayed in plex. Thank you for your help.