New installation on a Mac Mini (2014 - 8G ram - 1TB HD) no pools available !

pedser

Cadet
New installation by new TrueNAS nob.
Installation was perfect via bootable USB (I chose the TrueNas) installation was completed and I can access via web interface. Changed root password, IP address to static and workgroup to workgroup. The rest is unchanged, but in the storage/ pools I can create a new one ... there are no available disk.
Help..
I did a zpool status and I get this:
1611423813414.png

How can I fix this ??????
Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The Mac mini 2014 only has 1 disk, and you used it up for your boot pool.

pedser

Cadet
The Mac mini 2014 only has 1 disk, and you used it up for your boot pool.
Oh Yes, I see my issue, looks like I have a huge (1TB) boot pool, ... any suggestions during my re-installation ? maybe a 2G boot and the rest for data available. I am really trying to create a simple configuration with a one big drive that I can store files at home and its easily available via windows machines.
Thank you in advance !

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately, the installer will use the whole disk you select for the boot volume. You'll need to try a different platform.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If you have another USB flash drive or storage device, you can install from one drive to another. USB drives are discouraged due to the widely varying quality, but anecdotally I have run a few systems (9.10 through 11.x) on USB flash drives successfully. Oddly enough, USB3.0 drives seem to be hit-or-miss while older USB 2.0 units are more reliable, trending towards the physically larger drives (I bought a 10pk of 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Glides, each of them is still trucking along quite well)

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I assume it's intel since I doubt trueNAS is available for M1 yet. That said, I suggest posting what model you have TrueNAS running on.

A MacMini doesn't accept ECC RAM, so I'm not a fan of that platform for a TrueNAS.

If the MacMini supports Thunderbolt 2 or higher, then you can always consider getting a good HBA, installing it in a Thunderbolt external PCIe enclosure, putting the pool drives into a separate external drive enclosure and running two SFF8808 (or whatever) to SATA splitters / fanout cables into the external enclosure. However, I do not know how "Thunderbolt aware" stuff is in FreeBSDland, even for well-loved HBAs like the LSI.

Do not consider getting an external array with a port multiplier and running the drives in JBOD mode. That approach robs TrueNAS of the ability to interact directly with the drives. You really want a HBA and as direct a connection between TrueNAS and the drive as possible.

Last edited:

pedser

Cadet
Great ideas, but I may use a different hardware.
Thank you all for the comments.