New install from Ubuntu Server 14.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

neot45

Cadet
Hello,

I just installed Freenas 11 after using zfs on Ubuntu Server 14.04 for a few years. I got the software installed and running on my machine. I tried to import a volume for my existing pool but it could not find the pool. I did a zpool import from the shell and was able to import my pool using the -f option. However, i still cannot add the volume after the import of the pool. What are the next steps that i would need to do? I did try running a upgrade of the zpool incase the version of my zpool was out of date. I also did find that my zpool is currently degraded because one of the drives has failed. Could this be causing part of the issue with the volume import?

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Let me know what information you need to help troubleshoot the issue further.

Thanks.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hello,

I just installed Freenas 11 after using zfs on Ubuntu Server 14.04 for a few years. I got the software installed and running on my machine. I tried to import a volume for my existing pool but it could not find the pool. I did a zpool import from the shell and was able to import my pool using the -f option. However, i still cannot add the volume after the import of the pool. What are the next steps that i would need to do? I did try running a upgrade of the zpool incase the version of my zpool was out of date. I also did find that my zpool is currently degraded because one of the drives has failed. Could this be causing part of the issue with the volume import?

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Let me know what information you need to help troubleshoot the issue further.

Thanks.
Read the rules again. You need to post freenas version, hardware specs, zpool import, zpool status output.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
i still cannot add the volume after the import of the pool
After importing from the CLI, export again, then try importing from the GUI.
one of the drives has failed. Could this be causing part of the issue with the volume import?
Could be, I just noticed reports of this being an issue with at least one recent FreeNAS version.

neot45

Cadet
Here is the information:
Freenas version: FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE (a2dc21583)
Hardware specs:
Supermicro X7SBL motherboard
Pentium Dual Core E5300 @ 2.6ghz
8gb of DDR2-800 ram and i believe it is ecc ram
3ware 9690sa-4i raid card that i have (12) 2TB drives connected to it
Here is my zpool status output:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status tank																								 
  pool: tank																														
state: DEGRADED																													
status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing or													   
		invalid.  Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue																
		functioning in a degraded state.																							
action: Replace the device using 'zpool replace'.																				   
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-4J																						 
  scan: scrub in progress since Sun Jun 25 16:52:54 2017																			
		40.9M scanned out of 8.42T at 8.18M/s, 299h44m to go																		
		0 repaired, 0.00% done																									 
config:																															 

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM												 
		tank											DEGRADED	 0	 0	 0												 
		  raidz1-0									  DEGRADED	 0	 0	 0												 
			da0p1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			2553374386718093675						 UNAVAIL	  0	 0	 0  was /dev/da11								   
			da1p1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		  raidz1-1									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			da2p1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			da3p1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			da4p1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		  raidz1-2									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			gptid/e71c5433-50d5-1d4d-a65f-673600685651  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			da6p1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			da7p1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		  raidz1-3									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			gptid/0fbc48d7-0ab5-de43-b7cb-13c931d74f91  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			da9p1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			da10p1									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 

errors: No known data errors																										
[root@freenas ~]#							

I tried to do a zpool export and a zpool export -f and i get the following error: Cannot export 'tank' pool is busy. I believe it is doing a scrub/resilver but when i run the zpool status tank to check on the progress of the scrub it seems to restart from the beginning on the counters for where it is at in the progress of the scrub.

I have a drive that i can install to replace the bad one, but know that currently i have the current drives setup as 2TB partitions to keep the different drive sizes from different manufacturers consistent. What command can i use to create a partition on the new drive?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Freenas doesn't always play nice with pools not configured under freenas. It makes some assumptions that it expects to be there. Disks labeled with gptids, 2gb swap partitions and maybe some other things. One of these might be why it's not showing up in the GUI.

I'll also point out that your raid card will destroy your pool one day. Hba's are the only solution when using zfs because I'm expect direct raw disk access.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.