BUILD New FreeNAS/Virtualization Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgothite

Cadet
So, I've been reading for a week or two now, so I hope that I've avoided most of the major mistakes, but I wanted to run this build by the community here because I'm incredibly impressed by the knowledge of the members here. Without further ado, here's the build.

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLM-+F-O
CPU: Xeon E3-1220 V3
HDD: Western Digital Green 2 TB (x2)
SSD: Crucial 250GB SSD (Main VM Drive)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304
RAM: Crucial 24GB (8GBx3) DDR3 DR x8 ECC UDIMM CT102472BD160B

Cooling: Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm Fan (x4)
PWM Fan Splitter
PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W 80 PLUS BRONZE

I'm planning to run ESXi with a FreeNAS VM managing the two WD Green drives in mirrored mode. I don't need that much storage, I just want something flexible that I can expand and grow into. I also want to use this storage to provide bulk storage for the rest of the VMs on the box.

I have a hard budget cap at $1000 and I want to make sure that I'm getting the most for my money. If you see anywhere where I can expand easily or reduce and maintain performance I'd love to know.

The last question I have is, if I'm building a JBOD list for FreeNAS and I have an extra 2TB disk already, can I add that to this build even if the model's don't match?

You may want to look at the E3-1231 v3. It is newer, 100 MHz faster and cheaper.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am not sure if X10SLM fits the 304 case. But please wait for someone else to verify it, because I am not 100% sure.
That's a good point. The node 304 is a mini ITX, IIRC, so an X10 board won't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.