New FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

empeirikos

Cadet
Hello everyone:)

I plan to build a new NAS to replace several boxes and consolidate my storage, I've been thinking about the following system and would really appreciate if someone could weight in:

Motherboard : Supermicro X9SCM-F

CPU : Intel E3-1220v2

RAM : Hynix HMT31GR7BFR4C-H9 32GB (4x8GB)

SAS-controller : IBM M1015 x2 (cross flashed in IT mode)

SAS-expander : HP 468406-B21 x2 24 bay 3Gb SAS expander

Backplane : ICY DOCK MB994SP-4S x11 (1 5.25 to 4x2.5)

HDDs : Seagate-Samsung ST4000LM016 x24 (initial purchase) (4TB 2.5 15mm)

SSD : Kingston SV300S37A/60G x2 (60GB)

Case : Sharkoon Rebel 12 (11 x 5.25 + 1 x 3.5 + internal 6 x 3.5 hdds cage)

PSU : Corsair tx series CMPSU-750TX 750W

UPS : APC Smart-UPS SUA1500

FANS

MB994SP-4S (replacement) : Noctua NF-A4X10 5V 40mm (2 for every backplane)

Case back : Noctua NF-A14 140mm

Case side (right) : Noctua NF-F12 120mm x2

Case side (left) : Noctua NF-A8 PWM 80mm x2

CPU fan : Coolermaster 212+ (I already have it and might possibly fit according to some threads)

The reason for going with a full tower is that there is nowhere at the moment where I can rackmount anything, I'm aware I could do all this cheaper by going rackmount.

I plan to dual-link the expanders to the M1015's

I want to re-use parts that I already have so UPS,case ssd's and cpu cooler I'd prefer to keep if possible but open to suggestions.

There are several reasons for going with 2.5 15mm drives (most capacity for this chassis, power consumption,availability) if you have a suggestion for something different please specify why these drives would be a bad choice.

From what I understand with FreeNAS 9.2.1 and onward there is no performance penalty by not using optimal number of disks with raidz, my plan is to have 2 pools:

Pool 1: 5 (growing to 10 over time) raidz vdev with 4 drives each for storing my media library.

Pool 2: 1 raidz2 vdev with 4 drives for personal stuff (family photos, videos etc)

Media libary is replicated to the cloud so raidz should be adequate as nothing is irreplaceable, hard to find or re-encode yes, but not irreplaceable.

Personal stuff is replicated in two different cloud providers, an external hdd, plus 2 offsite backups each in different location so raidz2 should be more than enough.

The main purpose of the NAS is media consumption with worse case scenario 8 network users streaming,upload or downloading HD videos simultaneously will be running 24/7 but most likely idle 80% of the time.

The build if it matters will be done over time with, I plan to put everything together in one go along with the first 24 hard drives to cover my current needs and keep adding drives in groups of 4 to grow the pool.

Any ideas or suggestions for changes (please provide the reason you think something else would fit better) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.