24x4TB drive FreeNAS build - not cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmoney

Cadet
Was there a particular reason for the two RES2SV240 other then possible expansion in the future?

timb_yyc

Dabbler
The Norco RPC-4224 24 Bay Case has 6 back-planes with 4 hard drives on each so I needed a cable going to each back-plane.... plus future expansion

bmoney

Cadet
Understood. We also have a couple of the 4224s I was just counting in my head. I see 1 in from the M105 to 5 out from 1 of the expanders plus the other 8087 from the M105 which should be 24 channels. Or am I mistaken that the M105 is 8 channel.

By the way, how are the expanders working out?

timb_yyc

Dabbler

timb_yyc

Dabbler
The server has been rock solid - very happy with it. Now, FreeNAS is another issue.... I installed one update (FreeNAS-9.2.1.4.1-RELEASE-x64 (fec915c)) that screwed up my CIFS shares; I have since worked out the issue but am a little gun shy to installing any further FreeNAS updates.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Permissions have not had issues since that build. The dot releases actually started to be bug fixes instead of adding features. I stuck with .4.1 for a bit but now I'm on .8 and nothing has changed since .4.1 in regards to permissions.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The M1015 has two multilane connectors for a total of eight SAS lanes.

I agree that the permissions thing was a bit of a train wreck and I hope someone learned something about version numbering after getting a beating with a dead fish. Alternatively I'm happy to beat Jordan with a dead fish if lessons haven't been learned. ;-)

timb_yyc

Dabbler
For a while now I have been wanting to upgrade to 9.3 but after the upgrade to 9.2.1.4.1 I was in no rush until everyone else had been the guinea pig and blessed 9.3.

I finally found some time to play. I have a test computer and threw in 3x250GB hard drives, installed FreeNas 9.2.1.4.1 - created a ZFS array and then moved 300GB of test data files onto the array... I then installed the 9.3 upgrade and all was well! I am impressed. Time to upgrade the beast. - It didn't go as smooth. It turns out that the FreeNAS 9.3 upgrade did not like the Patriot 8GB USB drive and the first upgrade failed and the USB drive became unbootable. Using a backup image of the 9.2.1.4.1 I created another boot drive, this time using a Kingston 8GB USB stick (same one used in the original test computer) and the upgrade was uneventful.

So far, so good. Just a couple issues indicated under the Alert
WARNING: Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0
WARNING: New feature flags are available for volume vol1. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" section of the User Guide for instructions.

No problem with the ZFS Pool upgrade - I can do that anytime. From what I have read so far, the the firmware issue is related to the LSI controller card... Will need to study some more to see what exactly I should do to resolve this.

I have been running with 9.3 for just about a week now and so far no issues. I like the new interface and no more problems with permissions!

Update: I just searched the forums and there appears to be lots of info already on correcting the firmware issue. It should be a simple thing to fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.