NEW BUILD - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

france1967

Dabbler
Hello everyone!

First of all i'm a total noob :) i currently own since 1 year a qnap 419 (atom+0.5 gb ram) 4x3 tb wd red for 24/7 flac music/HD video +2 streams, pc's mac and linux backups and data cloud.
In some cases it's REALLY SLOW, thereafter i'm going to sell it w/o disks and i want to definitively change the system in order to have a +5 years proof machine.
After had a lot of reading ( I'm not a computer expert and I don't speak english so well therefore reading this forum is not always easy for me, so please don't blame me if I ask already answered questions) i made my mind in this way:

case: cooler master silencio 650 with noctua fans (already have it)
psu: corsair rm650 gold (already have it)
cpu cooler: noctua NH-U12S (already have it)
HDD raidz2 6x3tb red (4 of them already have it)
mobo: supermicro X10SL7-F
cpu: xeon e3 1230 v3 or 1241 v3 ???
ram: ???

The questions are:

1) cpu: in order to use xeon 1241, that probably could be more future proof at the cost difference of 20 euros (1% of total cost), i have to upgrade bios? In that case, can i start up the board with a g3220 pentium, upgrade bios and then switch to the xeon? Bios upgrade on that kind of board is hassle free or it's risky?

2) ram: here in italy is very hard to find supermicro reccomended hynix or samsung memory whereas i can find kingstone. In order to have 32 gb can i use 4 x kvr16e11/8? Or else I must use only kvr16e11s8/4kf (16 gb). Still for future proof I would like to have 32 gb, are 16 gb really enough? wich other brand i can use in order to have 32 gb?

3) flashing to IT mode. Is that mandatory? someone could please link me a detailed child-proof step by step instruction for how to do that on this board?

Other suggestions?

Thanks to all those who participate in the discussion

Francesco

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hello everyone!

First of all i'm a total noob :) i currently own since 1 year a qnap 419 (atom+0.5 gb ram) 4x3 tb wd red for 24/7 flac music/HD video +2 streams, pc's mac and linux backups and data cloud.
In some cases it's REALLY SLOW, thereafter i'm going to sell it w/o disks and i want to definitively change the system in order to have a +5 years proof machine.
After had a lot of reading ( I'm not a computer expert and I don't speak english so well therefore reading this forum is not always easy for me, so please don't blame me if I ask already answered questions) i made my mind in this way:

case: cooler master silencio 650 with noctua fans (already have it)
psu: corsair rm650 gold (already have it)
cpu cooler: noctua NH-U12S (already have it)
HDD raidz2 6x3tb red (4 of them already have it)
mobo: supermicro X10SL7-F
cpu: xeon e3 1230 v3 or 1241 v3 ???
ram: ???

The questions are:

1) cpu: in order to use xeon 1241, that probably could be more future proof at the cost difference of 20 euros (1% of total cost), i have to upgrade bios? In that case, can i start up the board with a g3220 pentium, upgrade bios and then switch to the xeon? Bios upgrade on that kind of board is hassle free or it's risky?

2) ram: here in italy is very hard to find supermicro reccomended hynix or samsung memory whereas i can find kingstone. In order to have 32 gb can i use 4 x kvr16e11/8? Or else I must use only kvr16e11s8/4kf (16 gb). Still for future proof I would like to have 32 gb, are 16 gb really enough? wich other brand i can use in order to have 32 gb?

3) flashing to IT mode. Is that mandatory? someone could please link me a detailed child-proof step by step instruction for how to do that on this board?

Other suggestions?

Thanks to all those who participate in the discussion

Francesco

Ok, from the top:

The CPU won't make that much of a difference. If you'd like to take the chance and the motherboard comes with an old BIOS version, you can definitely use a cheap processor to update the BIOS. If you don't have the G3220 lying around, the G1820 is even cheaper.

Fortunately for you, there's also Crucial/Micron.

Crucial (2 x 8GB): CT2KIT102472BD160B or CT4486353 (both are the same product)
Crucial (1 x 8GB): CT102472BD160B or CT4486347

Micron (single DIMM, as reported by memtest86+ and listed at Supermicro's website): MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1

All the above are the same DIMMs. I'm using them and can confirm this. You can get the Crucial model numbers directly from them or from a variety of websites. Their prices are reasonable and they guarantee compatibility with Supermicro X10s.

If you want to use an LSI2008/2308 controller, you'll absolutely need IT mode.

However, you don't need to use one for just 6 drives. If you plan to upgrade in the very near future, the X10SL7-F is a good choice. If not, I recommend one of the cheaper boards, like the X10SLM+-F - if needed, you can later buy an M1015 or similar controller.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...g-the-lsi2308-on-an-x9srh-7f-to-it-mode.1734/

This is one guide, but there are more (it's a different motherboard but the same controller). Don't bother flashing the card's boot ROM, as it's not needed.

france1967

Dabbler
Hi Ericloewe

thanks for the reply! Very enlightening

I'm on the crucial site, and for the x10sl7 they reccomend these 2x8 kits:
- CT4484985 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.5V 1024Meg x 72
- CT4484984 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V 1024Meg x 72
- CT4484988 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-14900 Unbuffered ECC 1.5V 1024Meg x 72
Which is the right one?

Regarding the instructions for flashing in IT mode that you linked me, what is "the current SAS id"? where i can find it?
When you say "Don't bother flashing the card's boot ROM, as it's not needed" which part of that instructions i have to skip?

Actually i'm thinking about more space, ok 6x3tb, next step? 7? 8? which is the sweet spot for these disks in raidz2?

thanks in advance!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You'll want the 1.35V DIMMs, since they're the ones tested by Supermicro.

The SAS ID should be on a sticker on the board.

We've recently concluded that with recent changes, the effect of sweet spots is much less noticeable than before, so feel free to do 8 drive RAIDZ2s.
However, it may be cheaper to just buy larger drives, since you can spare the extra controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.