New build high end help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inxsible

Guru
that price is for 32 gb is the case expensive on its own
Trouble is finding a case on it's own. Easier in the US but EU is a different market.

fragledoozer

Dabbler
i was just going to conform and buy a qnap but wheres the fun in that would the original one you found on ebay the 24 bay do the job or would you replace the motherboard and cpu to be fair at £600 i dont think its expensive the cases seem to sell for £1000 ps i appreciate the help

Inxsible

Guru
i was just going to conform and buy a qnap but wheres the fun in that would the original one you found on ebay the 24 bay do the job or would you replace the motherboard and cpu to be fair at £600 i don't think its expensive the cases seem to sell for £1000 ps i appreciate the help
I think it would be ok for 1 4K transcode. 2 might be cutting it close if the Plex employee is to be believed. Assuming you have 80Mbps encoded H264 video formats. He mentions H265 would need a lot more. So you need to check what quality your videos are and see if the passmark for the CPU is enough.

The 2nd listing I gave you -- for a 2U 8-bay server -- each CPU has a passmark of 4860.

Edit: Reading a bit more about 4K myself, looks like your best bet is to direct play 4K content on 4K devices and keep 1080p or lesser copies for playing on non-4K devices. If you are ok with this -- then either of the above 2 servers that I listed are more than capable of doing it.

Let us know which option you go with and I can suggest pool configuration and other components that you will need.

Last edited:

fragledoozer

Dabbler
i thought as much or i could run plex on a separate machine with say an i7 to do the transcoding but kind of defeats the object of having a good nas

Inxsible

Guru
i thought as much or i could run plex on a separate machine with say an i7 to do the transcoding but kind of defeats the object of having a good nas
There are only a few i7s that can possibly handle 4K transcode. You could always use that and a compatible motherboard in the NAS

fragledoozer

Dabbler
if i roll with the 24 bay and the hard wear fails in time i presume my data would be safe to just replace the hard wear

Inxsible

Guru
if i roll with the 24 bay and the hard wear fails in time i presume my data would be safe to just replace the hard wear
I am assuming when you say hardware, you mean everything except the HDD. If so, yes. If the HDD fails, your fallback is on the pool configuration and on your backups. You do have backups, right? RAIDZx is not a backup solution.

Depending on your choice of pool configuration and the number of failed disks in the same vdev, your data in the system may be safe or may not be.
  • 2-way mirrors offer 1 drive redundancy per vdev
  • RAIDZ1 offers 1 drive redundancy per vdev
  • RAIDZ2 offers 2 drive redundancy
  • RAIDZ3 offers 3 drive redundancy
Most here would recommend a RAIDZ2 configuration. If the dependency on pool configuration fails for whatever reason, your backups should give you your data back.

Last edited:

fragledoozer

Dabbler
perfect just as i thought raidz2 was my thinking to it i put say 4 6tb wd red drives in to start can i add to it or would i then need to red do pool config

Inxsible

Guru
perfect just as i thought raidz2 was my thinking to it i put say 4 6tb wd red drives in to start can i add to it or would i then need to red do pool config
You can add a new vdev in the same pool, but you cannot add a new drive in an existing vdev.

Stux

MVP
Also, you do not need to fill a 24 bay enclosure at once.

4K transcoding is a very heavy cpu task.

fragledoozer

Dabbler
bought the 24 bay £520 didn't think it was expensive purchased 5 4tb wd reds i am going to have a go at setting up today any tips?

Inxsible

Guru
bought the 24 bay £520 didn't think it was expensive purchased 5 4tb wd reds i am going to have a go at setting up today any tips?
Congrats. Enjoy tinkering around with it. Let us know if how it worked out.

pro lamer

Guru
4K transcoding is a very heavy cpu task.
There are rumours that it can be GPU accelerated but not sure if Plex media server can do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.