New build, feedback appreciated.

rosk

Cadet
Hi :)

Planning a new build for my TrueNAS Scale.

Right now I'm running on leftover parts from an upgrade I did on my computer some time ago.

Current build:

i7-6700K
ASUS Sabertooth Z170S
32GB RAM
Boot on SSD
2 x WD Red Plus in Mirror
1 x SSD for apps and VM

New build I'm planning:

MB: ASUS WS C246 PRO (Got this one for half price, never used)
CPU: i3-9100 (Was hoping to find a decent used Xeon for good price, but no luck yet)
64 GB ECC Memory
Boot will be put on a M.2
2 x WD Red Plus in Mirror ( Thinking of maybe adding a third and going RAIDZ1??)
SSD disks for APPS and VM.
Also looking for a 10 Gb NIC, as I'm planning to upgrade my switch/network. Currently pulling CAT6A cables around the house. I have found some used
Intel X520 DA2 I can get for around 100$ from a reseller of used server hardware. But I have read people have struggled abit with compatibility on SFP+ modules, depending if they are OEM rebrand or original Intel NIC.

Usage will be storage for pictures and videos. Some Apps, and I want to move my Home Assistant from APP and over to a VM.

My old setup will be stripped down, and become my trial&error test unit to play around in, before I push new stuff to my live server.

Feedback appreciated :)

StrangeOne

Dabbler
Looks solid as long as you know what your uses for it are and the limitations it may provide for future expansion.
As for Raidz1 with 3 drives. I don't see an issue.

For the NIC. I'd go with the INTEL X520-DA1. Then run a DAC from it to the switch. I try to stay away from buying modules unless needed. But if everything is being housed on a rack. DAC's should be used. I run the X520 and X550 with no issues.

rosk

Cadet
Plan is to have it in a rack yes, and connected to a switch.

I was also thinking of using DAC's, but saw a post with someone struggling with compatibility in their Intel NIC and DAC. Turned out it was a rebranded Intel NIC, which had some compatibility issues with various DAC's. But I can always give it a try :)

Specific reason you would go for a DA1 vs DA2?

StrangeOne

Dabbler
Plan is to have it in a rack yes, and connected to a switch.

I was also thinking of using DAC's, but saw a post with someone struggling with compatibility in their Intel NIC and DAC. Turned out it was a rebranded Intel NIC, which had some compatibility issues with various DAC's. But I can always give it a try :)

Specific reason you would go for a DA1 vs DA2?
As long as you get an authentic INTEL X520. You shouldn't have any issues with DAC compatibility. Its really made to just work compared to watching which modules are compatible. But even then I've never had issues with compatibilities.

DA1 vs DA2? Just price in general. Again per your applications, do you need the secondary port? Only one needs to go to the switch. Most of the time the second one is used for a failover.

MrGuvernment

Patron
I use 10GTek DAC's off amazon and i use X520's with no issues and a Brocade ICX6450 switch.