New build - controller card recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You don't need an expander backplane, there's a passive backplane that uses SFF-8087 instead of the individual connectors.

danb35

Hall of Famer
is it really that ugly on the backplane side?
On an 846, definitely. Even on an 826 (a 2U chassis) it's pretty bad, but workable. But I wouldn't care to try it on an 846.

Mugiwara

Dabbler
Ok. Thanks for the input both of you. I think, then, finally, I will go with something like this.

It states it has a BPN-SAS-846A backplane, but after going through various supermicro pages , all of them seem to indicate supporting sas2/sata3 drives, so I think I should be good from a bandwidth perspective (if I look at components on the bottom, the description for the BPN-SAS-846A is "24-port 4U SAS 6Gbps direct-attached backplane, support up to 24x 3.5-inch SAS2/SATA3 HDD/SSD"). And my two HBAs should be able to drive 16 of the drives while leaving 2 ports empty.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It states it has a BPN-SAS-846A backplane
Much better. That will require six SAS cables to fully populate the backplane, rather than 24 SATA cables. Big improvement. Still not as convenient as a SAS expander backplane, but no doubt considerably less expensive.

Mugiwara

Dabbler
Well, after a rough build with plenty of dremeling and hacking fo the case to make it quiet, I finally have it up and running. I did decide to go with an ESXI / passthrough build, just because thats what I am familiar with and have been running with for the past several years. After running Spearfoot's great burn in script for 9(!!) full days, I am confident with all the drives and my hardware. Thanks everyone for the help and guidance thus far.

As I was going through initial provisioning, I am looking for some recommendations on the best way to set up my voles. Originally, I was planning on creating a single volume with a ZFS2 configuration, but it sounds like there are mixed opinions on whether I should put in 16 disks into a single volume. Would it be better to do 2 volumes with 8 disks each in a ZFS2 configurtion? It that riskier than 16 disks in a ZFS2? I don't really want to do 2 volumes with 8 disks in ZFS2, but if that is the best trade-off for safety vs capacity, I guess I would be willing to lose two more drives. Please let me know if there's a good current doc source I should research, or if anyone has any tip. Thanks!

Stux

MVP
I would do 2 x 8 way RaidZ2.

Mugiwara

Dabbler
I would do 2 x 8 way RaidZ2.
Ok, thanks for the tip. I am running into a snag though. I created the single Volume with 8 disks in RaidZ2. I then went to expand that volume again, with 8 disks in RaidZ2, but am getting this error. I am trying to add 8 additional disks, so I am not sure where this is coming from. Any ideas?

upload_2017-6-17_18-7-11.png

Version: FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE (a2dc21583)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You're adding two 4-drive RAIDZ2 vdevs, not one 8-drive RAIDZ2 vdev. Choose just one line.

Mugiwara

Dabbler
AH, ok, cool, thanks. I think there may be a graphical bug in the addon. I selected the top 4, gave me the error again and the bottom row disappeared. I then clicked and dragged the small little selector to the right, and the 4 missing drives suddenly appeared on the same row, and it let me add it. Anyway, looks like Im off to the races, Ill start my migrations. Thanks all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.