New and unable to change IPMI sensor thresholds for fans

20vturbo

Cadet
Hello, thanks amazing info in the forums so far. I am trying to setting up my first server to learn on and haven't really ever used anything like TrueNAS/Linux before. I am having trouble figuring out what terms I need to search to try and keep my fans from ramping up and down due to the Supermicro board thinking the fans are failing.

I found this How To: Change IPMI Sensor Thresholds using ipmitool - post that is about the fan issue, but I can't seem to get the first command to work kldload, sudo, or ipmitool (don't really know what those commands mean yet). I tried to use the CLI shell and the Linux shell (not sure what the difference is yet) directly from the machine, but couldn't get either to recognize any of the commands in the article above or in this IPMI Fan Control - NO MORE FAN NOISE! - YouTube Video. I tried to follow the directions in this IPMI Configuration in Server | IPMI Tool | IPMI Utility - YouTube Video but even after trying to enable it, I wasn't able to get any of the commands to work.

I have only installed TrueNAS and haven't setup any users or permissions on the system yet, so that also might be the issue? I was just trying to fix the fans before I start creating pools in case I needed to start over with anything. I might also be typing the wrong commands or in the wrong spots. I tried both "~# kldload ipmi.ko" and just "kldload ipmi.ko", but it didn't recognize either command.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I might be able to learn about some of those commands and how to use them so I might be able to follow that first forum post and keep my fans from freaking out? Is it Linux I should be learning?

Thank you so much!!

TrueNAS: TrueNAS SCALE 23.10.0.1
CPU: 12600k
MB: x13sae-f
BIOS: 2.0
RAM: Kingston 32GB ECC Registered DDR5 4800
HDD: 6x Toshiba 8tb drives 7200RPM
Boot Drive: 2x mirror 1tb Samsung 870 2.5" SSDs

20vturbo

Cadet
for anyone who might ever be as confused as me in the future, it does appear to be Linux related. I left out the ~#, used "sudo -i" (not sure if needed) and then "ipmitool sensor list all" and the rest of the steps from this post. Oddly the fans all ramped up and stayed blowing near full blast even after a restart. I shutdown to see what I could find and when I rebooted to try some things, the fans were all running normally without any ramping. Off to learn more, sorry for taking up the bandwidth.