Networking performance issue, can only get ~25% of available bandwidth

Joshua.Weber

Cadet
I'm running a OpenVPN inside a jail on FreeNAS. The connection to the VPN seems to authenticate and connect correctly. Routing to other devices on the server subnet work. Proxy of internet requests via the server's public internet connection work. However performance is slow, and at times it seems the connection temporarily drops or lags out (video streams halt and report a lack of internet connection).

The Client is located in Japan with a server based in the USA. So response time on ping is reasonably high at ~135ms. Server bandwidth via speedtest-cli shows 75Mbps down / 35 Mbps up. Speedtest results at the client are 63 Mbps down and 154 Mbps up. However all bandwidth speed tests on the client through the VPN connection are very limited, ~5-7 Mbps down and ~3-5 Mbps up.

CPU reported by freenas reporting never exceeds 10%. It doesn't feel compute limited or resource limited.

I've tried to change MTU settings via -fragment and -mssfix. Currently set to --fragment 1390 --mssfix. But it doesn't seem to have an impact on performance.
I've setup an new jail. Installed a Wireguard server. Changed my client to a Wireguard client. Connection works, routing to all destinations works. But still limited in bandwidth to perhaps ~<10 Mbps during speedtesting.

I decided to do performance testing outside of a VPN. I utilized iperf3 tool to measure network performance from my client to FreeNAS server host directly via the public internet. Which was only able to achieve a 7.5 Mbps performance.

I'm currently confused as to what the problem could be. But it does seem like there is a significant performance bottleneck on my FreeNAS host. Extra confusing is that the FreeNAS host seems to be able to communicate directly with the public internet without any limitation, scoring high on the speedtest-cli results. Being able to download via wget at a fast full speed rate.

Any advice or next steps anyone could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

FreeNAS 11.1-U6. CPU Xeon E3-1220. 16GB Memory.

Joshua.Weber

Cadet
What's the full output of ifconfig ?
ifconfig inside my OpenVPN jail
Code:
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384             
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>                 
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128                                               
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1                           
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000                                     
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>                             
        groups: lo                                                           
epair0b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                   
        ether 52:7d:28:30:cd:7d                                               
        inet 192.168.1.202 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255         
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>                                 
        media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)                   
        status: active                                                       
        groups: epair                                                         
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500         
        options=80000<LINKSTATE>                                             
        inet 10.8.0.1 --> 10.8.0.2  netmask 0xffffffff                       
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>                                             
        groups: tun                                                           
        Opened by PID 95690                                                   

And from my FreeNAS host.
Code:
igb0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                      
        options=2400b9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6>     
        ether 0c:c4:7a:c2:17:24                                                                         
        hwaddr 0c:c4:7a:c2:17:24                                                                        
        inet 192.168.1.200 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255                                   
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)                                            
igb1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                              
        options=6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,
V6>                                                                                                     
        ether 0c:c4:7a:c2:17:25                                                                         
        hwaddr 0c:c4:7a:c2:17:25                                                                        
        media: Ethernet autoselect                                                                      
        status: no carrier                                                                              
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384                                       
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>                                           
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128                                                                         
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3                                                      
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000                                                               
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>                                                       
        groups: lo                                                                                      
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                           
        ether 02:45:d3:58:b6:00                                                                         
        groups: bridge                                                                                  
        id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15                                     
        maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200                                        
        root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0                                        
        member: epair2a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                   
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 7 priority 128 path cost 2000                                          
        member: epair0a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                   
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 5 priority 128 path cost 2000                                          
        member: epair1a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                   
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 128 path cost 2000                                          
        member: igb0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                      
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 1 priority 128 path cost 200000                                        
epair1a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                   
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                                             
        ether 02:cd:50:00:06:0a                                                                         
        hwaddr 02:cd:50:00:06:0a                                                                        
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                   
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                                             
        ether 02:cd:50:00:05:0a                                                                         
        hwaddr 02:cd:50:00:05:0a                                                                        
epair2a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                   
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                                             
        ether 02:cd:50:00:07:0a                                                                         
        hwaddr 02:cd:50:00:07:0a                                                                        

Joshua.Weber

Cadet
I have still been unable to resolve this. I'm at a loss for next steps. I'm thinking of doing an upgrade from 11.1 -> 11.2. And then recreating the jails. My understanding is there is potentially some difference between the warden and iocage jails types.

But I'm really just grasping at straws. I don't understand what the underlying issue could be.

sretalla