Network Bridge not working on 22.02 - RC.2

ldy26098

Cadet
i have installed truenas scale 22.02 rc2 on my nas, and i cannot get bridge working fine after many efforts.

here is what i have done:

1, using web ui.

A physical interface ( let's say eno1 )with static ip or dhcp will work well . Then i create a bridge with eno1 as it's member , following this doc ,just the bridge part: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/virtualization/accessingnasfromvm/

save changes and test , then i cannot access web ui anymore , either from static ip or dhcp ip.

After 60 seconds , config falls back , fortunately.

2, using CLI.

i conneted my nas to a tv , and access it from native CLI with "network interface" tools.

create name=br0 type=BRIDGE bridge_members=eno1 aliases="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24"

commit and checkin.

"query" to show br0 has ip and eno1 doesn't.

now i try to access web ui with this ip , it doesn't work.

i think it's easy to re-produce this situation . any suggestions ? is there something i did wrong , or it's a bug in current version of SCALE?

engineerdj

Dabbler
Watching. I'm having this same issue as well. Trying to access SMB shares from a VM in SCALE and cannot configure the bridge using the documentation above. I either can't assign an IP address to the bridge because it says it's already in use, or I lose connectivity to the web UI.

nbhanji

Cadet
Just to update this issue:
1. when the bridge is created and attached to vlan interface - it does not work.
2. If you reboot the system, above created bridge will work.

engineerdj

Dabbler
@nbhanji can you detail your steps in creating the bridge? I'm receiving several different errors when following the steps on the link below.

If I try to add the IP address of eno1 to br0 as instructed and it says the IP is in use. If I don't add the IP, and just attach the bridge to the interface, then the web UI access is broken and I need to delete the br0 via the console to regain access.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a misconfiguration on my part, or truly a bug as others have also reported.

nbhanji

Cadet
@nbhanji can you detail your steps in creating the bridge? I'm receiving several different errors when following the steps on the link below.

If I try to add the IP address of eno1 to br0 as instructed and it says the IP is in use. If I don't add the IP, and just attach the bridge to the interface, then the web UI access is broken and I need to delete the br0 via the console to regain access.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a misconfiguration on my part, or truly a bug as others have also reported.
Before you move further, I would suggest to restart :( . I know this should not be the case, but software is still in Beta.
1. Go to network and then create a bridge network by selecting type
2. select bridge member under Bridge settings
3. do not set the ip address, but save
4. now select the created bridge interface and add IP configuration
5. save
6. you should be required to test the changes, I would perform that.

darkcloud784

Dabbler
Before you move further, I would suggest to restart :( . I know this should not be the case, but software is still in Beta.
1. Go to network and then create a bridge network by selecting type
2. select bridge member under Bridge settings
3. do not set the ip address, but save
4. now select the created bridge interface and add IP configuration
5. save
6. you should be required to test the changes, I would perform that.
This doesn't seem to work with a bonded interface.

paddy01

Dabbler
I was experiencing the same issue. I was up and running fine using a single physical interface, when I tried to remove that interface, create a bridge with that interface as a member and then assign an IP to the bridge, whilst all the changes took (I was in the CLI) and Truenas could ping it's own IP, it was unable to ping anything else, even something in the same L2 subnet.

Wasn't too invested in the config I had running so reset the config to default. All the following configurations were carried out in the CLI.

1. Disabled DHCP on the physical interfaces.
2. Reboot (don't know if necessary but no harm in doing it as whilst DHCP was now false, the interfaces retained the IP's they'd been served by DHCP).
3. Created bridge interface with 1st physical interface as member and alias with static IP e.g. 10.10.10.100/24.

Of course after each change a commit and checkin.

At this point I was able to now ping addresses in the same L2 subnet.

I added a default GW and DNS server and was then able to ping out to internet / resolve DNS queries etc.

GUI is working fine via the bridge interface.

I've not created any VM's yet (just adding Truecharts catalogue at present) but so far everything looks good.

Should also mention this is on RC2.

ldy26098

Cadet
I was experiencing the same issue. I was up and running fine using a single physical interface, when I tried to remove that interface, create a bridge with that interface as a member and then assign an IP to the bridge, whilst all the changes took (I was in the CLI) and Truenas could ping it's own IP, it was unable to ping anything else, even something in the same L2 subnet.

Wasn't too invested in the config I had running so reset the config to default. All the following configurations were carried out in the CLI.

2. Reboot (don't know if necessary but no harm in doing it as whilst DHCP was now false, the interfaces retained the IP's they'd been served by DHCP).
3. Created bridge interface with 1st physical interface as member and alias with static IP e.g. 10.10.10.100/24.

I added a default GW and DNS server and was then able to ping out to internet / resolve DNS queries etc.

I've not created any VM's yet (just adding Truecharts catalogue at present) but so far everything looks good.

Thank you for sharing your efforts, i will try it on my system.

ldy26098

Cadet

i have a working bridge now , with the following steps:
1, i didn't reset all config in CLI, but i disables dhcp on all physical interfaces, delete all bridges , and remove default gateway and dns server.
2, reboot.
3, create a bridge with all my physical interfaces , assign a ip to it . commit and checkin.
4, now the truenas server can reach the gateway by the bridge , and when i add default gateway and dns , it can also reach internet .

some notices :
1, after i clear all network config and reboot , i saw some errors threw by k3s , said it cannot start without default gateway. i don't know whether it's related to the bridge issue , but k3s and dhcp are the main differences between the bridge can work or not.
2, after step 4 , when network is working well , i reboot the system again to see if it will work well . then i saw the bridge having 2 ips , one is assigned , the other is dhcp , with all ipv4_dhcp in "false" status. it's weird.

engineerdj

Dabbler
This worked for me:

This is the exact solution that solved my problem. All within the UI/browser. No reboot or command line needed.

During Test Changes, reload the UI in another tab using the same IP, to Save Config before Revert.

After clicking Test Changes, the UI will have the modal appear that it's testing the changes with the spinner and the other text box that appears (Connecting to TrueNAS?). During that time, I opened another tab to access the UI and it brought me right back into the config with the Save Configuration option present.

Remove the IP from my primary NIC -> Apply
Create a bridge
Assign the primary NIC as only member to that bridge
Assign the IP formerly attached to the NIC to the bridge
Apply
Test Network Changes
Reload TrueNAS UI using the same IP address in another tab
Save Config

Once saved, you'll see br0 with the correct IP attached. I then bound the bridge to the VM, started it, and can now access the NAS network shares from within the VM.

The docs (https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/virtualization/accessingnasfromvm/) aren't wrong, and it may not be a bug, but it should have a note that you may have to reload the UI in another tab to save config, else the 60 seconds will elapse without saving and the changes revert.

I've seen many with the same issue thinking it's a bug. Knowing the above would save a lot of time and troubleshooting. Been working on this one one and off for about a week, and this fixed it in 40 seconds.

dffvb

Dabbler
The other tab didnt want to load or relaod the UI for me, however somehow I got into "save" in the original tab, taht worked. Thanks man

Knausten

Cadet
Here is my small piece to the puzzle as a TrueNAS- and network-rookie.

I also had this problem of not being able to create a bridge prior to RC2, after which it automagically was solved and I could reach TrueNAS services from within the VM (even without a defined bridge). I guess this was a bug and with the recent release version 22.02, my VMs and TrueNAS were isolated once again.

My attempted setup was to have "eno1" as my NAS interface and "eno2" as my VM bridge.

For me, the problem was that when I created the bridge, DHCP apparently became unchecked for both of my interfaces, not only the interface attached to the bridge (eno2). This threw me out of my logged in session until the automatic reset after 60 s. When I re-checked DHCP for "eno1", so the interface remained unchanged, everything worked as expected and the bridge was created without any problems.

I hope this prevents a similar headache for someone. :)

dffvb

Dabbler
I just tried again on a test machine, doesnt work at all, not this way, not the official one...

L583

Cadet
This worked for me:

This is the exact solution that solved my problem. All within the UI/browser. No reboot or command line needed.

During Test Changes, reload the UI in another tab using the same IP, to Save Config before Revert.

After clicking Test Changes, the UI will have the modal appear that it's testing the changes with the spinner and the other text box that appears (Connecting to TrueNAS?). During that time, I opened another tab to access the UI and it brought me right back into the config with the Save Configuration option present.

Remove the IP from my primary NIC -> Apply
Create a bridge
Assign the primary NIC as only member to that bridge
Assign the IP formerly attached to the NIC to the bridge
Apply
Test Network Changes
Reload TrueNAS UI using the same IP address in another tab
Save Config

Once saved, you'll see br0 with the correct IP attached. I then bound the bridge to the VM, started it, and can now access the NAS network shares from within the VM.

The docs (https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/virtualization/accessingnasfromvm/) aren't wrong, and it may not be a bug, but it should have a note that you may have to reload the UI in another tab to save config, else the 60 seconds will elapse without saving and the changes revert.

I've seen many with the same issue thinking it's a bug. Knowing the above would save a lot of time and troubleshooting. Been working on this one one and off for about a week, and this fixed it in 40 seconds.
I'm having the same issue on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.3, I've tried your approach but unfotunatly I could not load a second tab.
And for some reason it does not seem to save the last step adding the ip address to the bridge.

L583

Cadet
A Fix that worked for me was adding the ipv6 address first, applying and then adding the ipv4 and apply again.
I took a reboot to acces my shares again, but now everything is working as expected.

Seed

Dabbler
This is still severely broken. Can't manage changing the interface or adding a bridge cause it says the IP is already in use. When I test, I lose connectivity. There should be a revert that's automatic if there's no UI response to confirm anymore otherwise what's the point of testing. Have to reboot the node.

inman.turbo

Contributor
Another strange thing is when you have more than one NIC or interface creating bridge and assigning an interface disconnects the others. Any attempt to bring the other interfaces up results in needing to reboot in order to regain connectivity.