Nessus scan shows mDNS Detection (Remote Network)

bnash

Cadet
Just upgraded from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12.0-U1. Then I ran a Nessus scan for security issues. The scan shows an issue. Here is the description of the issue. "The remote service understands the Bonjour (also know as ZeroConf or mDNS) protocol, which allows anyone to uncover information from the remote host such as its operating system type and exact version, its hostname, and the list of services it is running."

I never had this issue with FreeNAS 11.3-U5. If someone can tell me how to correct this would be great.

Thank you in advance.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Just upgraded from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12.0-U1. Then I ran a Nessus scan for security issues. The scan shows an issue. Here is the description of the issue. "The remote service understands the Bonjour (also know as ZeroConf or mDNS) protocol, which allows anyone to uncover information from the remote host such as its operating system type and exact version, its hostname, and the list of services it is running."

I never had this issue with FreeNAS 11.3-U5. If someone can tell me how to correct this would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Turn off mDNS. Network->Global Configuration. This will possibly cause confusion for MacOS users and anyone else using mDNS to discover this exact information. It's a feature, not a bug :)

bnash

Cadet
That solved my problem. Made the change ran another scan, and the scan came back clean. Thank you. I understand it's a feature. I just like everything off by default and turn on what you need only. Again thank you