Need your approval for a FreeNAS project

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisBee

Wizard
Right now i searched for new option for my NAS.

I just see a new Mini ITX motherboard the X99E-ITX/ac . I tought put this with Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3.

What do you think about this motherboard ?

That's not a server m/board, and you are talking about ITX again not micro or full ATX as pointed to by @Chris Moore. Other than Asrock products there are the ASUS PD9-I ans ASUS P10S-I, aslo various Supermicro ITX boards which are quite expensive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You should understand that you pay a price premium for the smaller board while loosing features that are present on the full size board.
I don't understand the desire for such tiny system boards. Most people are not as space constrained as they appear to think they are.

KrisBee

Wizard
You should understand that you pay a price premium for the smaller board while loosing features that are present on the full size board.
I don't understand the desire for such tiny system boards. Most people are not as space constrained as they appear to think they are.

All except city dwellers in parts of Europe. But the compact systems like the ixSystems Mini does have its appeal.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
All except city dwellers in parts of Europe.
It is difficult for me to remember. More than 20 years ago, I lived in a a 1 room flat in Germany for a couple years, in a building that was built before 1940, where you had to go down the hall to take a shower or use the lavatory. I suppose there are many places that are still like that. I wouldn't want to go back to living in a city, much to crowded. Every room of my house is bigger than that whole apartment was.

daùienR

Explorer
That's not a server m/board, and you are talking about ITX again not micro or full ATX as pointed to by @Chris Moore. Other than Asrock products there are the ASUS PD9-I ans ASUS P10S-I, aslo various Supermicro ITX boards which are quite expensive.

ASUS P10S-I seems perfect for me !

daùienR

Explorer
@
All except city dwellers in parts of Europe. But the compact systems like the ixSystems Mini does have its appeal.

I live in Paris, i don't have so much space for my NAS. I already have a ATX size computer and all my photography stuffs. So i have to put my NAs in my cupboard with my fiber internet box

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Looks fine, but you might want to also get this module:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-IPMI-Management-Upgrade-Motherboard/dp/B00YRY27RO
It attaches to the system board to activate the IPMI feature. It allows you to connect to the system through the network from your main computer to connect a virtual keyboard, mouse, monitor and CD to the server for management. It would allow you to only ever connect the power and network to the server. I find it very valuable and use it frequently on all my servers to check on their health. Supermicro servers give thermal and power readings in the IPMI management web-page. Here is a site that tells more about it:
http://event.asus.com/2012/server/feature/Remote.htm

KrisBee

Wizard

Two things to be aware of, that m/board does not come with IPMI, you have to buy a separate module for that - the optional "ASMB8-iKVM for KVM-over-Internet" plugin module. Any RAM you pick should be checked against the m/board QVL at https://www.asus.com/uk/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/P10S-I/HelpDesk_QVL/

pro lamer

Guru
in my cupboard
Sent from my mobile phone:

A small mobo then let's guess a small case/chassis then possibly airflow problems and moreover put into a cupboard (cupboards have doors I guess) - I would be careful.

I know the CPU is L version but then the HDDs... Maybe I am paranoid ;)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Be sure that the place has enough cool air to keep the hard drives cool. Hot drives die earlier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

daùienR

Explorer
Looks fine, but you might want to also get this module:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-IPMI-Management-Upgrade-Motherboard/dp/B00YRY27RO
It attaches to the system board to activate the IPMI feature. It allows you to connect to the system through the network from your main computer to connect a virtual keyboard, mouse, monitor and CD to the server for management. It would allow you to only ever connect the power and network to the server. I find it very valuable and use it frequently on all my servers to check on their health. Supermicro servers give thermal and power readings in the IPMI management web-page. Here is a site that tells more about it:
http://event.asus.com/2012/server/feature/Remote.htm

Seems really useful this module

daùienR

Explorer
Sent from my mobile phone:

A small mobo then let's guess a small case/chassis then possibly airflow problems and moreover put into a cupboard (cupboards have doors I guess) - I would be careful.

I know the CPU is L version but then the HDDs... Maybe I am paranoid ;)
Be sure that the place has enough cool air to keep the hard drives cool. Hot drives die earlier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thanks, i wondering about this. I will do test before using my NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.