Need Your Advice For RAID configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbd

Cadet
Hi! I'm going to install FreeNAS(for the first time) for Data Storage: to keep home archive, like photos & e.t.c... So, I need 30TB of storage. I already have: MB: ASUS P8B75-M, CPU: Intel i3-3220, RAM: 8GB DDR3, 3ware 9750-16i4e Controller+12x3TB HDD Seagate Constellation ES.2 ST33000650NS(max. capacity of my case) on it, 4GB USB(for OS). I planned to mount software RAID-Z2 in FreeNAS to have needed space, but I've read that RAID-Z2 compatible with max. 8 HDD. So, the question is what would be better: 1. Mount 2x6HDD hardware RAID in 3ware BIOS, join them in FreeNAS, then mount ZFS on it. 2. Mount 12HDD RAIDZ-2 in FreeNAS. 3. Mount 2x6HDD RAIDZ in FreeNAS, then join it in FreeNAS(if it possible). 4. Or you can advice something else?

And what version of FreeNAS would work better: 32- or 64-bit?

Thank you.

Don't use hardware RAID with ZFS, go RAID-Z. Not sure about optimal configuration but others can help you better on that.

There are 2 points on your HW list that bug me though, which are you MoBo and RAM. You have a consumer grade mainboard with consumer grade chipset. You'll want to switch it for something server-grade (with Intel Cxxx chipset) that supports ECC RAM. You'll also want to switch your standard RAM for ECC RAM. Why? read the Sticky in this forum section.

Also, the amount of RAM should be increased. Rule of thumb is 1GB per TB of storage (at least roughly) + 2GB for OS so in your case I'd put in 32GB

As for your software question: 64bit all the way. 32bit version is said to have its issues, and it drastically limits your RAM

Reactions: bbd

melp

Explorer
With 12 drives, your best bet is 2 vdevs, each with 6 drives in RAID-Z2. ZFS likes the number of data drives in a vdev to be a power of two. Read through cyberjock's slideshow for more info (slide 33 IIRC): http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

I also want to echo everything Drake said above (don't use hardware RAID, it would be worthwhile to get hardware that supports ECC and more RAM, use 64 bit).

Reactions: bbd

bbd

Cadet
Thank You for Your answers! So, I've Installed FreeNAS and the new story has begun: 3ware BIOS sees all HDDs(scr. 1&2, I've read that 3ware controllers says "BIOS not installed" if RAID not been mount on it), WebGUI sees no HDD(scr. 3), shell command "pciconf -lv" sees 3ware controller. I've upgraded 3ware BIOS firmware, updated 3ware FreeBSD driver, run various commands(found in internet) in FreeNAS shell & don't know what else to try.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    382.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 268

krikboh

Patron
You need to configure each disk as a single disk unit in the 3ware bios before they will be available to FreeNAS. I'm not sure if that controller will properly pass SMART information to FreeNAS.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
You need to configure each disk as a single disk unit in the 3ware bios before they will be available to FreeNAS. I'm not sure if that controller will properly pass SMART information to FreeNAS.

It won't. That 3ware card doesn't support IT or passthrough mode for drives; it will only present a bunch of single-disk arrays.

ZFS + RAID equals problems, whether it's poor performance or a dead zpool down the road; I strongly suggest getting an HBA and ditching the RAID card, as well as following Drake's advice.

Yatti420

Wizard

bbd

Cadet
Thank You. HoneyBadger, I didnt know about that, I thought that all RAID Controllers work as HBA (SATA-SAS Controllers that I used before could.) I've just installed 16GB of RAM (DDR3, Non-ECC). I think I'll buy LSI SAS 9201-16i Host Bus Adapter.

D4nthr4x

Explorer
Thank You. HoneyBadger, I didnt know about that, I thought that all RAID Controllers work as HBA (SATA-SAS Controllers that I used before could.) I've just installed 16GB of RAM (DDR3, Non-ECC). I think I'll buy LSI SAS 9201-16i Host Bus Adapter.

You could get an IBM m1015 from ebay, it's an LSI card that people pull out of servers and sell, there is a sticky somewhere about setting it up for IT mode.

kc10kevin

Dabbler
You could get an IBM m1015 from ebay, it's an LSI card that people pull out of servers and sell, there is a sticky somewhere about setting it up for IT mode.

+1. I just bought two M1015 cards on eBay for $94 each and flashed them to IT. Work like a charm and much cheaper.

joelmusicman

Patron
Please PLEASE if you value your data, swap for a server-grade motherboard and ECC RAM! You can keep your G3220, but look for a C224 or C226 chipset board.

Your current setup will probably work fine for a while, a few years even, but WHEN a RAM stick goes bad it'll trash your data (and your backups too!).

Steve Tranoi

Cadet
+1. I just bought two M1015 cards on eBay for $94 each and flashed them to IT. Work like a charm and much cheaper.

Could you please give some details (firmware version, process etc) you used to flash the card to IT mode. I have a card with the M1000 key in an IBM server, and hoped someone here could verify that the base of this M1000 would be the M1015. Planning on pulling the card this week to get a closer look at it and get all the numbers and names in order, then on a mission to get FreeNAS up and running on it.

gpsguy

Steve, please don't cross post. I already answered your other message.

Status
Not open for further replies.