Need some help with panic error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose Mejia

Cadet
Hi everyone,

After start this thread I search for this error and cant find anithing so I hope that I dont duplicate any post.

to start I'm using freenas 8.0.2 x64 relace with this hardware.

Motherboard: Intel itx D525MW Atom
Memory: Crucial CT25664BC1067 2GB
2 Western Digital drives WD20EARX in Raid 1, (I plan to use 4 of this in Raid 5)
RocketRaid 1740
usb drive HP v165 4GB

now the issue:

I install Freenas on the usb drive, everythink looks good, after the instalation I access the system using the web browser and configure the CIFS drive and everything, my Win7 was able to access the new drive, at this point everything looks good, now when I try to copy some files to my freenas after some MB copied my Win7 stop coping, so accessing the freenas server and there is an error:
"panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: ffffff81efbcb000
cpuid = 2
Uptime 4m5s"
and the system is hung, so I need to restart it, after the restart the freenas is accesible, I can check the configurations and everything, but again as soon as I start coping files, after some MB the system hung again :(

please let me know what I can do in this situation.

thanks for all the help.

I also get the "panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry" error after a few minutes on a reset system. Any news to the chase?

pvtskiles

Cadet
Were you ever able to get this resolved? I had my system up and running fine for a few months and am now getting this error. I thought it was the USB key I installed on so I got a new one and put my config on the fresh install, but got the error again after about an hour. I'm really hoping that I don't have to wipe my drives to solve this.

As for my system I have 8.3.1 x86 P2
Intel core 2 duo processor
4 GB Ram
2x3TB Seagate HDD

jgreco

Resident Grinch
ZFS requires some tuning and carries some risk on systems with less than 6-8GB of RAM. You'll probably want to read up on the tuning that people have done on small memory systems. The people who like to help out on the forum have generally gotten weary of saying the same things over and over and over and so on.... there's a search function up top, and/or Google works pretty well too.

pvtskiles

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. Both my google searches and forum searches led me to this post due to having the same error. I'm not trying to upset anyone with my ignorance of the inner workings of the system. I guess what led me to believe it was something unrelated to hardware was that the system was up and running for a little over 2 months before I got the error. Instead of tweaking my system to function with less than the suggested memory, will my problems potentially be resolved if I just add more RAM?

Also, thank you for steering me in the proper direction. I am new to this world and am just slowly feeling my way around. I did notice in your links the common topic of VMs. My big question for that is I have a box that is only running FreeNas, so wouldn't that mean that I'm not using a VM? Again I speak with no experience on the topic and am just trying to gain an ounce of understanding.

Thanks again.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I think the general consensus based on the experiences of forum members has been that you should expect to have to do some tuning for less than 8GB, and kind of a more certain doom feeling on systems 6GB or less unless you've made some adjustments.

In my experience, FreeNAS can be made to work on 1GB of RAM or less, but doing so requires some significant inspection and consideration of the various UNIX tunables, and all the ZFS ones too. This is ... nontrivial for beginners.

In a bit of irony, I've got an edit window for the FreeNAS Hardware Requirements in another tab because I'm pondering if there's a better way to do a better job of communicating memory guidelines to users. And maybe some 8.3/v28 relevant tuning suggestions for small memory systems.

A VM is a virtual machine, something where you run a hypervisor like VMware ESXi or Xen, which in turn runs a virtual machine. It's a little like multitasking, but for entire operating systems rather than executables.

pvtskiles

Cadet
I think its probably in my best interest to just move my drives to a new box with enough RAM. My main goal for the build is XBMC and photo backups, so I really want to make sure I have the reliability.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You are more likely to enjoy FreeNAS with 8GB or more of RAM. ZFS is designed to "use it all".

Status
Not open for further replies.