Need Help with SSH Key Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

srini_v

Cadet
Hello All

I am a newbie to FreeNAS, sorry for the basic question.
I have generated a SSH Key pair using puttygen and pasted the PUBLIC key accounts>user in the "ssh public key" box.
I try to log in using putty and it prompts me to enter "login as:"
when i type in the username to whom i entered the public key i get an error message "server refused our key" in the putty terminal and an error message box saying "Disconnected : no support authentication methods available(server sent:public key)".
I dont understand where i am going wrong.
Any help would be greatly appretiated.
Thank you

danb35

Hall of Famer
The most common cause I've seen for problems with SSH public key auth is incorrect permissions on the user's .ssh directory and/or the .ssh/authorized_keys file. Is the user's home directory on a dataset with Windows permissions?

srini_v

Cadet
Thank you for your reply. I looked at the permissions on the .ssh directory and changed it . It works fine now.
To answer your question- no I have given it UNIX permission.

Again, thank you for pointing me to the problem. Much appreciated .

tbrezniak

Dabbler
The most common cause I've seen for problems with SSH public key auth is incorrect permissions on the user's .ssh directory and/or the .ssh/authorized_keys file. Is the user's home directory on a dataset with Windows permissions?
danb35 How do you check the permissions on the user's .ssh directory and the .ssh/ autthorized_keys file? I am currently having the same problem as srini_v.

Status
Not open for further replies.