NEED HELP: VOLUME unavailable after I pulled 1 disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

damdude

Dabbler
Hi All,

Sorry in advance if this question has been asked/answered before.

I created a volume lets say "volume1" using a 2TB disk in stripe mode and later I realized that I would need more space so I attached a 1TB SSD and used the option to extend this "volume1" using this disk. now I know that I dont have much data in this new 1TB SSD after I connected and even if its there I dont care. My 1TB SSD went bad and I had to remove it.meaning I didnt change anything in the settings but I physically removed it from system. but now since this 1TB SSD drive is gone. my system is thinking that the whole volume is in BAD state. so I am now unable to access whatever is there in that 2TB drive. is there anyway I can access the data on that drive and make this volume 1 accessible again.

danb35

Hall of Famer
My 1TB SSD went bad and I had to remove it.
Then your data is gone. That's what happens when a disk dies in a striped pool.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This is what happens when you don't read and follow the manual instructions. You don't just "pull a disk" from your pool.

And yeah, what @danb35 said, your data is gone.

danb35

Hall of Famer
This is what happens when you don't read and follow the manual instructions.
There's no "right" way to remove a disk from a striped pool--though why anyone would stripe in a SSD with spinning rust is a mystery to me.

pro lamer

Guru
Excuse my noob's idea but what happens when you put the SSD back in? What did you mean "it went bad"?

Sent from my mobile phone

danb35

Hall of Famer
If the SSD were in working condition, the pool would be fine. But if it's died, as OP indicates, the pool's toast and the data's gone.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
There's no "right" way to remove a disk from a striped pool--though why anyone would stripe in a SSD with spinning rust is a mystery to me.
Well if you have an open SATA port and a still functioning drive you could replace it using the GUI. My point being you don't just start yanking drives out of your server as a number of posters seem to do at the first sign of trouble.

damdude

Dabbler
Well, I know I made a mistake of setting it up as a stripe but I basically use this Machine as primarily for plex stuff only and no backups there. so never really cared much about data part. now, luckily I still have that SSD with me ( technically I will get that SSD back tomorrow) in the same state how it was when I pulled it. Do you guys think my volume will work if I put it back( the drive was working when I pulled it, its just that it goes bad once in while so I pulled it out of system). and what is the right way to dis-associate this drive from my volume1 now ?

Also I know I am supposed to use mirror or RAID config but my system was supposed to be as cheap as possible and this a old system being re-used so I have very basic config like 6GB ram and only 1 2TB drive (HDD) and 1 1TB SSD. But having said that I'll be getting some more SSDs (thanks to my friend at SANDISK - employee price) soon to be able to start using my system as "Time Machine". so what kind of RAID config do you guys suggest I should use.

In total I'll have like

1 (2TB Drive)
I am thinking like 3-4 (1TB SSDs)

what is the best possible storage config I can go with ?

Arwen

MVP
--though why anyone would stripe in a SSD with spinning rust is a mystery to me.
Well, for media storage for one. My minature media server running Linux with ZFS has an 1TB mSATA drive and a 2TB 2.5" spinner. I took a partition from each of 24GBs for the root pool. Then the rest was striped for media storage.

It's more than fast enough for supplying a single high bit rate 1080p stream, (not transcoded).

The media, (and root pool), are backed up to my FreeNAS, which uses 4 x 4TB in RAID-Z2. FreeNAS is then backed up to my 8TB Seagate SMR. Later I intend to buy another 8TB, (or larger), disk for another rotation in the backups.

So, if I loose a single file, (even if it's a 10GB Hi-Def movie), I can restore without resorting to re-ripping the optical disc. And if I loose an entire drive, well, root is mirrored, (and backed up). I simply replace the failed device, and restore the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.