Need assistance deciding on hardware and setup configuration.

Parsivan

Cadet
Hi,
It is my first time building a HomeNAS server and I am having trouble deciding on the storage setup. I live in Sweden.

CPU: i9900k tested
Motherboard: Asus gaming z390-f (6sata connectors) (bought both MB and CPU for 2500kr)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i v2 120mm AIO
PSU: Corsair 600w 80+ bronze (free)

The main use will be for storing family photos and videos; so there will be only occasional write to the pool. For now I’m not going to be setting up any VMs but I will be running openvpn serve. I’m thinking of running a tiny minecraft server for 2 people.

• For the budget I’m comfortable under 6000kr mark I have had too many experiences losing family photos.
    • suggestions on HDD configuration for having great redundancy? no need for performance.
    • I’m not that worried about upgrading but I was thinking if I go with RAIDZ2 I can gamble on Truenas adding the possibility to expand by adding a drive to an already existing VDEV. I don’t think I will be using all the space by that time!
seagate ironwolf prices where i live(copied URL from address bar)
for approximate price in USD divide by 10

• I also want to ask about NVMe for boot and for Minecraft. Should I buy 2 different 500 GB(copied URL from address bar) and have them in the mirror or have boot on one and Minecraft on the other?

• Also should i just buy the cheapest case?!

Parsivan

Cadet
I should add that i first tried getting help from LTT forum although they educated me on a lot of things i still wasn't able to figure this out!
Original LTT Forum Post (URL from the address bar)