Need Advice on Drive Config on New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting a new free NAS box and I am trying to figure out the best way to configure the drives. I plan to buy 3TB ones. My throught process is one of the following:

1) Buy 2 at a time (starting with 4) and expand as I need by creating mirrored vdevs for each drive and putting them in the zpool.
2) Buy more drives up front, such as 5 or 6, and put them in a raid-z. My concern about that is the rebuild time of larger drives and I am not sure I will fill up those drives as fast. Thus ending up with drives that will wear out before being filled.

Any insight or advice is welcomed.

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Most people are better of with overbuilding the system from the start. If you build your system properly and do proper maintenance on your pools and such you should have a system that can last quite a while.

Understood. But is there any recommendation on Drive Size vs. Configuration? If I got 6 3TB drives, is it better to put them in RAID 10 or RAID-Z2?

ZFS Noob

Contributor
I guess it depends on your needs. RAID10 will have ~ 3x the IOPS, but the RAIDZ2 will have 3TB more capacity and can withstand the failure of any 2 drives. RAID10 will be easier to expand as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.