Need advice for my second Freenas build, ITX based

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schaeffer

Cadet
Hi, I already built my first Freenas "data timecapsule" two years ago, works like a charm but it is so loud and power consuming I only swith it on when I need to retrieve and/or transfer data on it. That's not an ideal solution for my home, please take a look at it: RPC-4224 case, Dual Xeon (old gen can't remember exactly which generation exactly, 2.6Ghz each), 16Gb ECC RAM, Tyan Tempest i5000PX motherboard, LSI 9280-24i4e SAS controller, 8x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDDs (RAID-Z2)...
you can clearly see the mistakes I made ;)
Now I plan to change to something less ambitious but more realistic.
The parts I'm pretty sure I'll use are: U-NAS NSC-8000 case, 128Gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (already own it) as cache drive, I also want to use 8x 4Tb HDDs. I'm really not sure which mobo to use, was about to chose C275x mobo (either Supermicro or Asrock) BUT I saw several threads that show some compatibility issued with newer hardware...
Can you please give me some advice?
Here is what I just want: a NAS that is rock solid, SFF, silent, don't heat too much/consumes little power but has enough performance to handle multiple tasks such as Sickbeard/Couchpotato torrenting, DLNA server, SMB sharing, has dual parity (eg Raid-Z2)...
In fact like a Synology/QNAP BUT with ZFS support :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Want much? Heh. No, seriously, we are waiting to hear someone successfully do just what you describe.

no_connection

Patron
Based on comments on this forum I would not use the OCZ for anything server related. A cache device would only add risk in this case I think.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
Good choice on the case. I have a second unit on its way. I will also use an Asrock mobo. Can't recall the model at the moment. I also have Qnap that has done me well. I'll take it that Qnap has not gotten into zfs yet?

Schaeffer

Cadet
@jgreco: Saw a build-in-progress that looks quite promising in another thread about ITX build. I'm still in a build planning stage, won't make same mistake twice, choosing bad or unappropriate hardware, that's why I'm reading every (constructive) idea I'll get from the community :)

@no_connection: I will dig on OCZ SSD issues, thanks

@ECCfrenaslover: Would be interested by the mobo you currently use, read on previous ITX threads there is compatibility issueds with C226 chipset (there was soldered Atom-based SOC mobos I was originaly planning to use, either Asrock or Supermicro).
As of today there is still no ZFS port to QNAP. Some guys tried to compile ZFS linux to port, with no success (too much dependancies). Also I doubt ZFS on QNAP could work (low efficiency Atom processors+low RAM amount).

Just to add to my main thread, I'm digging both WD Red 4 gigers (about 150€ each) and Seagate 4GB NAS HDD lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.