NAS to NAS Offsite backup Soluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

just a quick questions,

would like to set up nas-nas backup so offline backup solution but not sure how to achieve this end to end.

i use arsync to sync data from local machines to the freenas on the network including time-machine.

I am looking at installing another freenas device in a different location but not sure what to do from then on?

also as a cheap solution could i buy the below and install freenas on this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STBP16000200-Business-Storage-Solution/dp/B00B7EJ34M

Or am i thinking of this all wrong, therefore just need advice on how to achieve network backup of local files and then cheap offsite back (which i can storage in my brother house) including sync data from home machine i.e photos / videos / music.

i await you help

Regards

This will all depend on what OSs are on these machines. If, for example, you are backing up from one FreeNAS to another FreeNAS then replication would be a good option. If, perhaps, you have mixed OSs then something more cross platform would be in order, like rsync, syncthing, BTSync, etc.

To help with the initial backup bandwidth needs you could do that locally on your network and then move the NAS to the remote local for the rest of the time.

ok so many it will be mac machine backup to the freenas server that is at the (home) location, which i am using rsync / arsync for the gui version - which works well.
if it was freeNas to FreeNAs then replication - is this something that is built into FreeNas itself?

Regarding the server that i sent a link to is this something that i could put freenas onto or use the seagate os and then run rsync / arsync? ( rsync, syncthing, BTSync, etc. )

I like you idea about the solving the bandwidth issues, so thank you for this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That thing is not going to be able to run FreeNAS. It only has 2GB of RAM and very puny hardware.

Not as bad as some appliances some people have asked about, though, since at least it's an x64 system.

ok sure thank you for the update, is the a guide on how to replicate FreeNas server to server, is this via snapshots?

also how would you recommend the two servers can see each other in different locations? - home site to site vpn

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ok sure thank you for the update, is the a guide on how to replicate FreeNas server to server, is this via snapshots?

also how would you recommend the two servers can see each other in different locations? - home site to site vpn
The manual has instructions. Use VPN.

Ok i ahve the following pan if this work:

• ok so to prepare the FreeNas with data in the local network (home network) i will use arsync or ftp client to move data to it
  • once all data is there build a new freenas and use snapshot replication to transfer / replicate the data to this server. (via the FreeNas manual)
  • once this have been completed - move this to the new location and set up vpn
  • communication should still be able to talk to each server via vpn and ship new snapshots across to new server.
If the above is the best plan, is there a cheaper / more cost effective way that i can achieve the same results?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Personally I choose to use crashplan for my offsite back. It's cheaper than maintaining a remote freenas box with less complexity. But with this method the initial upload can take some time depending on your upload internet speeds or if you have data caps, both of which I don't have to worry about.

What if I set up a machine, (rasberry pi) low powered and connect a large external usb 3 hdd. Could I connect to this and then sync data across to it via snapshots from my freenas or arsync?

Yes. You could rsync just fine to a Raspberry Pi.

Status
Not open for further replies.