NAS has an IP yet I am unable to access it

leothaes

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Please help. I connected my NAS through a different router with the intention of expanding my home network. However, I noticed I was having some issues with it on my main system. So I removed it from the network and return to the previous setup. Since then I have not been able to access my NAS (neither the web interface of my smb share). Connecting a monitor to the NAS I see where it has an ip address. I tried a suggestion from youtube to add 2 lines of code to the file loader.conf. But that never worked either.

System info:
HP DC7900
Intel core 2 duo 3Ghz
8Gb DDR2
1PCI 4 port sata controller
1 PCIe x1 4 port sata controller
Using the onboard gigabit Ethernet

Tried using a PCIe x1 gigabit Ethernet card, but that never worked either.
I had connected my phone to the smb share as well. And it is also unable to access it.

Nick2253

Wizard
Wow, Core2Duo. Haven't seen one of those in a long time....a long time.

So, there's a few issues that I see, and unfortunately you haven't really provided any of the information that we'd need to help. So, let's get into it:
  • First off, 8GB of RAM is really scraping the bottom for ZFS. If you are only doing SMB sharing, you're probably ok, but I would definitely not recommend doing anything more. No jails, no VMs, etc.
  • PCI and PCIe SATA controllers. PCI is extremely bandwidth limited, so you're not getting much out of your drives that way. Also, FreeBSD doesn't usually support add-in SATA controllers that well, and so you can be plagued with randomly disconnecting drives which offlines your pool in obnoxious ways. If your setup is working for you, then more power to you.
To troubleshoot your network issues, we really need to know more about your network setup. What's your gateway, are you using static IPs, is everything is the same subnet, etc.?

My best guess is that:
  • By adding the second router, you created a second subnet, or nested NAT, which broke your connection to TrueNAS.
  • Whatever you added to loader.conf or other configuration changes may have broken your networking. Remove whatever you added.
  • Because of the broken settings, switching back to the original router didn't work.
I would suggest the following:
  1. Remove whatever you added to loader.conf.
  2. From the console interface, reset your network adapter. Select option 1 "Configure Network Interfaces", select your network interface, say "y" to remove the current settings, and then say "y" to configure for DHCP.
  3. This should give you a DHCP address. Try to connect via that address.
  4. If that works, then you can attempt to set a static IPv4 address.
To dive into more troubleshooting, it will help to provide:
  • Router (gateway) IP address.
  • DNS address (often the same as your router).
  • Desired IPv4 address for the TrueNAS server.
  • Network architecture: e.g. modem --> Router --> switch --> TrueNAS.

leothaes

Cadet
Wow, Core2Duo. Haven't seen one of those in a long time....a long time.

So, there's a few issues that I see, and unfortunately you haven't really provided any of the information that we'd need to help. So, let's get into it:
  • First off, 8GB of RAM is really scraping the bottom for ZFS. If you are only doing SMB sharing, you're probably ok, but I would definitely not recommend doing anything more. No jails, no VMs, etc.
  • PCI and PCIe SATA controllers. PCI is extremely bandwidth limited, so you're not getting much out of your drives that way. Also, FreeBSD doesn't usually support add-in SATA controllers that well, and so you can be plagued with randomly disconnecting drives which offlines your pool in obnoxious ways. If your setup is working for you, then more power to you.
To troubleshoot your network issues, we really need to know more about your network setup. What's your gateway, are you using static IPs, is everything is the same subnet, etc.?

My best guess is that:
  • By adding the second router, you created a second subnet, or nested NAT, which broke your connection to TrueNAS.
  • Whatever you added to loader.conf or other configuration changes may have broken your networking. Remove whatever you added.
  • Because of the broken settings, switching back to the original router didn't work.
I would suggest the following:
  1. Remove whatever you added to loader.conf.
  2. From the console interface, reset your network adapter. Select option 1 "Configure Network Interfaces", select your network interface, say "y" to remove the current settings, and then say "y" to configure for DHCP.
  3. This should give you a DHCP address. Try to connect via that address.
  4. If that works, then you can attempt to set a static IPv4 address.
To dive into more troubleshooting, it will help to provide:
  • Router (gateway) IP address.
  • DNS address (often the same as your router).
  • Desired IPv4 address for the TrueNAS server.
  • Network architecture: e.g. modem --> Router --> switch --> TrueNAS.
Thanks Nick,

After much troubleshooting I finally decided to reset my router and then reload it from my config file. That worked. But then I took it a step further and decided that I would indeed create a subnet using my other router and do things properly and put all my lab devices on that subnet isolated from the rest of the house. So far things are working out pretty well.

Only issue I'm facing now is that I keep getting an error when doing a zfs replication of my old pool to a new pool on the same system. I recently started getting some checksum error on the disk for my old pool. Could this be the reason. Here's my post about it:
https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/pool-replication-stops-and-erros.102016/