NAS configuration second options?

jbeardmore

Cadet
So I'm in the middle of assembling a budget general purpose NAS for an SMB environment. And I'm looking for second opinions on the anticipated performance.

Existing:
Synology DS2415+ 12 6TB in RAID 10.

Proposed:
HP Z840 2x e5-2660V4 32gb ECC RAM (later upgrade to 64GB) 6x 3TB with 3 Mirror vdev's (RAID 10 equivalent)
With 2x SSD's either for mirror vdev for metadata or 1x SLOG + 1x L2 ARC.

Now we don't really need the 30tb or so useable storage space of the Synology. But I'm constantly pegging the poor atom CPU at 70-90% for most of it's life and limited by the 1gbe links. So I'm looking to migrate to something with more processing grunt. and re-purpose the Synology elsewhere or steal the drives. (maybe do a 1 by one replacement onto the 'new' NAS for added capacity.)

My big concern with this NAS, is I'm also hoping/planning to run some VM's over iSCSI including some light SQL workloads (not SQL lite) and I'm really worried about the Disk array performance tanking everything, but don't have the experience running things like SQL over iSCSI on TrueNAS.
Note: Yes I plan on doing my own testing and validation before prod.

But just wanted to see if anybody has some good feedback on this setup as a bastardised hybrid between a NAS/SAN box (Mostly SMB traffic for the NAS). In perticularly disk performance using a HDD array with some SSD acceleration?

Unfortunately it's not possible to get enough Flash drives at the capacity that's needed (10TB-ish). As much as I would like to. But I may be able to re-purpose some 2.5 600GB SAS 7.2k drives, so was also considering running two storage pools. one for the 'SAN' and another for the 'NAS' (NAS performance doesn't need to be amazing...It's SMB traffic performance is already out the window). I can only fit 6 3.5 drives/ but could probably mount 4x 3.5" and 4-6 2.5" drives.