nas acting as an external hard drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anorphirith

Dabbler
hi folks
lets say I install freenas on a computer, set up a nice array of 6 hdd's and decide to have a single partition,
is it possible or is there any way to incorporate a USB male connector so that when I plug it to a computer, it is detected just as if it was an external hard drive ?

Scareh

Contributor
Why would you ever want to do that? :/

Just set up cifs and use your network to access your drives like a NAS (aka NETWORK-ATTACHED storage) is supposed to be used.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
I really don't understand how much easier you want it to be. As mentioned above it is a NAS . it is designed to be accessed over a network. What are you looking to gain by commending over USB?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Scareh

Contributor
thats not a NAS, thats just an external USB drive with basicly 2 drives in it....
I don't know how much easier you can get then CIFS. You just mount it in your explorer and its there like an USB drive thats allways connected.
Try and read up on cyberjocks dummy guide or something, that'll explain things hopefully a bit more.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're trying to cross two totally different technologies with each other. The USB solution would require your base OS to support the file system. FreeNAS uses CIFS as the file sharing protocol.

Two totally different technologies that present the data in two totally different ways and aren't related at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.