SOLVED n00b: Accidentally filled volume via Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimer

Dabbler
Hi,

I recently bought an HP N54L microserver. It came with a 250GB HDD, so I installed FreeNAS and set up a ZFS volume using the entire 250GB disk.

I then installed the Plex plugin and copied some media files onto the FreeNAS box. I then installed Transmission and set it to download a few files.

I woke up this morning and checked how Transmission was progressing with the downloads. Unfortunately, my drive is now full (98%). When I set up FreeNAS I didn't realise that this would be a major issue - I'd followed some YouTube configuration guides. I'd assumed that filling up a drive might impact 'snapshots', but I'd simply be able to delete some files and free up space as required.

I've tried to 'cut and paste' some data from the FreeNAS box onto my desktop PC and the files have copied correctly. Unfortunately, the files remain on the FreeNAS box - they initially 'disappear', but then reappear a minute later when the page is refreshed. I don't think this is due to my permissions settings, because I have successfully deleted files before.

Is there something I'm missing? Why don't files just delete? Is there anything I can run at the command line to fix this?

Can I copy some files onto my desktop and then delete a ZFS dataset? Would that work?

Also, if filling up the disk is an issue and 20% needs to be reserved, why isn't that a 'tick box' option when creating a volume - e.g. 'Utilising more than 80% of a ZFS volume's capacity can result in volume failure. Do you wish to reserve 20% of capacity for ZFS background tasks?'

Thanks,

Rob

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm confused how you have everything setup.. Specs please.. Are you booting off a USB? With 250gb disk as a zfs pool? You have filled the transmission download folder and now want to move stuff? Assuming the system hasn't crashed - migrate your data off and then rebuild the pool is what I would do.. I know alot of people pull the stock 250gb out of the HP N series and build bigger safer pool(s)..

gpsguy

Search the forum for a thread named - "disk full can't delete any files please help" for an answer.

Sent from my phone

grimer

Dabbler
Sorry for the lack of information. I am booting from USB with the 250GB disk in a zfs pool. I have filled the entire drive (98%). I'd rather not have to remove all data and start again. Is there a way to simply delete files. Would deleting the bittorrent dataset work (37.1GB - see image below)?

20140321-freenas_zps83c5fc4a.jpg

I tried using the echo command, but it didn't work (although that might be due to a 'space' in the folder name?

[root@FreeNAS ~]# echo > /mnt/new250/Data/plex/TV Shows/The Newsroom Season 2 Mp4 720p/The Newsroom S02E01.mp4
bash: /mnt/new250/Data/plex/TV: No space left on device

I didn't realise I had to use a backslash to precede any spaces in the file name. For anybody else experiencing this issue, I used this command:

echo > /mnt/new250/Data/plex/TV\ Shows/The\ Newsroom\ Season\ 2\ Mp4\ 720p/The\ Newsroom\ S02E01.mp4

Thanks for your help with this problem. It is much appreciated.

I can't find an option to mark this thread as 'resolved'. Is that done by an admin?

Status
Not open for further replies.