SOLVED MySQL 5.7 in a Jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvassar

Guru
Having been somewhat disappointed with Bhyve VM's, I thought I'd take a closer look at Jails, and see if I could make use of them for some of my infrastructure needs by deploying MySQL in a standard jail. I hit an error that I can't seem to move past:

FreeNAS 11.1-U6... (Build #3 in my sig)

Steps:
1. Set up jail with static IP
2. Add user
3. Enable sshd / login, etc...
4. pkg update / upgrade
5. pkg install mysql57-server mysql-client
6. sysrc mysql_enable="YES"
7. service mysql-server start
-> Hit "failed precmd routine for mysql" error
8. Patched up my.cnf, fixed ownership, etc...
9 Eventually get to: "/usr/local/libexec/mysqld -initialize"

And I hit this error: "/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Undefined symbol "fdatasync"

I've been away from BSD for too long, but that looks like a dynamic linker error to me.

Has anyone got a cheat sheet? I'm following various FreeBSD quick setup guides, but I've been using Ubuntu for MySQL for years, and it just works.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yeah, upgrade to 11.2. FreeBSD 11.1 is EOL, meaning that some of the binary packages are no longer compatible.

rvassar

Guru
That's what I was afraid of...

rvassar

Guru
Ok... I updated to 11.2-release without much pain. I'm going to take another swing at a MySQL jail. But I see my Plex jail is now deprecated to the legacy interface. Is there any procedure for updating it to the new UI, or ???

rvassar

Guru
So it looks like the new iocage jail doesn't select an interface for me. I selected epair0a, and gave it a static IP address, but when I ssh in to that IP I get the Base NAS, not the jail. Do I need to create a bridge interface for the jail or did I just pick wrong? This doesn't seem to be covered very well in the Release Docs.

rvassar

Guru
Ok... So I decided to try bridge0, and enable VNET. This also failed, but did not plumb the jail's IP to the Base NAS. I then halted the jail, and went to try another interface, and found a "vnet0" interface available when I scrolled down. Selecting it works. I can ssh in, and even got the mysql57-server package installed and started.

So that might be a UI bug. If I select VNET, should it autoselect the vnet0 interface for me? I can't honestly be certain the vnet0 interface was even an option when I made the initial selection. Now that I know to look, it only appears when the VNET box is checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.