My Small Business DR Plan - Good or Bad?

Papa

Dabbler
After an untimely failure on my Son's Small Business Win 2008 Server - We decided to build two new TureNAS servers as his Disaster Recovery plan. His business is in his home and the server holds several shares, two for the household and three for the business. On the property is a separate building that has wired network connectivity to the main house.
The layout looks like this, please help me determine if I have it wrong or if we're close and need a few changes:
  • Two identical servers with 1 Pool and similar Datasets as did the old Window$ server,
  • Each server houses 3 six TB drives on SAS controller,
  • Locate DR box in the separate building,
  • Pull Datasets from the Main Host server to DR box via RSYNC scheduled task,
  • Create snapshots for individual datasets at various intervals depending on the use of the dataset,
  • Pull those snapshots to the DR box according to the use of the dataset,

This appears to me as a viable plan. The things I still need to determine are the schedules, length of time for snapshot expiration, etc., and a few others.

I am hopeful that at some point I can help him change his network switches and allow him to connect to the DR server via a VLAN, this would allow him more resistance to an outside attack. We have other safeguards in place, but splitting things out is always a safe plan.

BTW - after 4 days of trial and error we retrieved 90% of the failed server data, on the 5th day I retrieved the file structure, we got 100%

It may say Newbie in the title - but I just retired after 23 years as an IT Support Spec III - hey, retirement is fun.....:wink:

Papa

Dabbler
I guess - (assume) - no response indicates my plan is good to go.
Still, wondering if RSYNC is really necessary?

NugentS

MVP
Why not just use snapshots and snapshot replication. No need to use rsync

Papa

Dabbler
That's what I thought, but I wanted to cover all my bases and I wanted to hear it from experienced in the community. Thanks