My server disappeared from my home network, yep noob at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what happend (great way to start) but my nas just disappeared from my home network. It was there one day gone the next. Like my Note 3, my smart tv or laptop, nothing can see it. My router does see it. I can easily get to it on the web ui no problem. And no I did not change anything in the ui. This all happened yesterday and I have been trying to fix it all day today. Here is what I have done so far. I downloaded the latest version 9.2 64bit and burned it on a new flash drive. Then when the server was up I just imported the drives, set my user id, password, added cifs and turned on cifs share. And haven't touched anything else. I just followed the instructions from http://lifehacker.com/turn-an-old-computer-into-a-do-anything-home-server-wit-510023147 as I did before when I was running 8.3. Still, it should have showed up on my network but nothing. I really just want to get my pictures off the server and then I can just let it sit.
I have noticed that a device shows up on my network randomly ( because I keep refreshing it hoping it would just pop back up), RalinkLinuxClient, but I have no idea what it is. And I can't find it on my router. Think it is a bug?
Here is my box info
BuildFreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4)PlatformIntel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHzMemory2026MBSystem TimeThu Jan 23 20:57:36 EST 2014Uptime8:57PM up 35 mins, 0 usersLoad Average0.44, 0.18, 0.13

Any help in fixing this would make my day. I am a noob, I know this from experience. The only thing I know about this is how to follow directions. And searching this forum has left me a bit in space.
Now in the mean time I am going to pound a few back and go looking for my baseball bat. I will put that old girl out of her misery, office space style.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, you need to talk about your system a little more. You use ZFS or UFS?

gpsguy

As cyberjock requested, we need more info.

Did you download the official FreeNAS guide? It's on the same page, where you downloaded the software. It would be helpful to read those directions.

What happens if you put \\ip-address\sharename in Windows Explorer, where ip-address, is the address of your FreeNAS server.

I have downloaded the guide and will be reading it today. I have taking apart my server cleaned it and check for loose parts and I plan on using a nother flash drive to start over again so I have not had time to check out what happens when I put in the IP address.
As cyberjock requested, we need more info.

Did you download the official FreeNAS guide? It's on the same page, where you downloaded the software. It would be helpful to read those directions.

What happens if you put \\ip-address\sharename in Windows Explorer, where ip-address, is the address of your FreeNAS server.

Dusan

Guru
Please do not follow some random internet guides -- especially when you are upgrading and the guide is about new installs. You probably misconfiguration something when you reinstalled FreeNAS. The FreeNAS manual contains the proper upgrade instructions (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Upgrading_FreeNAS). If you still have your old USB stick, plug it in, verify that everything works and then follow the upgrade procedure in the manual. You can do it entirely in the Web GUI and your settings will be preserved -- there's no need to import pools and reconfigure everything when you upgrade.

gpsguy

2026MB is only 1/4 of the minimum amount of RAM for ZFS on FreeNAS. BAD things can happen with too little RAM.

And, we still don't know anything about your pool. Number of drives, size, RAIDZ1,2,???

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You shouldn't be using ZFS with less than 8GB of RAM. Reliability problems develop rapidly and we've seen unrecoverable pool loss as a result. So please upgrade to 8GB of RAM(the minimum for ZFS) before expecting further help. It's hard to troubleshoot problems on a system that is already going to be unreliable because of limited RAM.

You shouldn't be using ZFS with less than 8GB of RAM. Reliability problems develop rapidly and we've seen unrecoverable pool loss as a result. So please upgrade to 8GB of RAM(the minimum for ZFS) before expecting further help. It's hard to troubleshoot problems on a system that is already going to be unreliable because of limited RAM.

8gb is going to be a problem, my Mobo can only handle up to 4. Which was on my to get list. And that guide that I read on another site that got me started on this whole adventure said 4 was good. So if you are saying that I need 8gb to run ZFS and I am on ZFS than, I have a problem. Is there a way through the web ui to move my stuff to some other storage like a cloud or something? The reason I ask this is I would need almost 2tera of space to keep all of my stuff. But if not then I only need to get to my pictures and all will be ok.

KTrain

Dabbler
These forums and the official wiki articles are going to be your best source of information. Trust them before some third party website. The folks who respond to your request for help have been doing this for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.