My migration plan from 9.10.2 to 11.2/3

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
So it is a time (i guess...) to jump on the 11.x train as well. This is more like a "Do i have all pieces of puzzle?" thread where I'd like to ask the fellow "NASers" (NASsers?) if i am missing something in the "project plan" bellow. Any comments appreciated!

Two main targets:
- Run FreeNAS latest 11.2 (then upgrade to 11.3 once stable)
- Replace disks in RAIDZ2

Current setup:
MB: SuperMicro MBD-X10SL7-F - Intel C222
CPU: Intel Core i3-4130
RAM: Kingston Value 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333 ECC
PSU: Enermax ErPRO80+ 350W (I will temporarily use 640W which i have as well due to high amount of disks connected during data migration)
Pool1: Mirror / 2x WD Red (EFRX), 3,5" - 2TB (encrypted, archive storage) - called "OLD" further in this thread
Pool2: RAIDZ2 / 6x Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB (encrypted, Jails) - called "MIRROR"
Case: Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl

Planned changes:
- Move to latest FreeNAS 11.2 (then upgrade to 11.3 once stable)
- OS runs from SSD Intel 520 128GB
- Pool2 needs to move from these 6x3TB to new 6x12TB WD120EMAZ (WD "White" shucked from WD EasyStore) - called "NEW" further in this thread

Notes:
- As i am on quite old version and still running Jails i am NOT planning to upgrade all the way from 9.10.2 but install a fresh FreeNAS 11.2 (11.3) on SSD
- Replacing disks on the Pool2 and re-silvering would take ages and frankly i am a bit afraid of messing up the encrypted pool. So instead of that i will create NEW encrypted pool from the new 12TB disks and just copy aaaaallll of the data from OLD to NEW.
- I am OK to re-do the OS configuration from scratch thus no config import from 9.10 is planned (not sure if that is even possible but nevermind)
- I am also OK to re-install my old Jails (warden-based) by the new ones (iocage-based) and do the setup from scratch (+import app config files)
- I am a bit uncertain about the HDD connectivity. Board has 8x SATA ports via LSI 2308 and 6x SATA via Intel C222. At some point i will need to "fiddle" with the disk connectivity and things could get really bad during this (see bellow the "Downtime" phase). I have also a spare "Kouwell" (Marvel chipset) PCIe card to temporarly serve two additional SATA ports but i am not sure if i could even boot from these. I would not connect my data HDDs through that one due to an ancient bug with 2TB+ drives.

So my current plan is:
Preparation
- Burn-in + test the new disks (in my workstation via HDTune)
- Prepare installation media for recent FreeNAS
- Backup app configs from existing Jails as well as UserIDs, SSH keys, network setup details (for reference). Grab some screenshots from Apps itself for reference
- Stop all Jails + note down their current GUI setup and mount-points for reference
- Backup OS config + grab screenshots of current system config, tasks, smart tests, tunables, ... etc...
- Dump details from crontab, Samba shares + configs, User and Group IDs + names, `mount`, fstab, camcontrol
- Backup encryption keys (!!) and verify recovery keys are working (!!!)
- Shut down the system

Downtime/Install/Move data
- Physically disconnect all disks and remove USB dongle with OS
- Connect Intel SSD for new OS to on-board LSI 2308 ports
- Install FreeNAS + perform basic OS setup
- Shut down system, connect six new 12TB to the LSI 2308 ports (note that the old disks were connected there before)
- Start system and create NEW encrypted RAIDZ2 (all 6 disks), generate keys + backup keys and download them, restart + validate keys.
- Backup GELI master data for NEW pool
- Shut down system and connect the "OLD" RAID2 via the C222 SATA ports, startup system.
- Re-create users, groups with old UIDs/GIDs
- Copy the encryption keys, import the "OLD" pool, decrypt disks.
- Copy all of the data from OLD to NEW
- Lock the OLD then DETACH the pool
- Stop system, disconnect OLD disks
- Connect the two disks from Pool1 (MIRROR) to C222 SATA ports
- Start system, copy encryption keys, import the MIRROR, unlock, validate

Uptime, configure
- Setup smart/scrub schedules
- zfs rename the old jail datasets (keep for reference purpose)
- Create new datasets for jails
- Add tunables
- Create VLANs
- Configure/enable services
- Restart system
- Create new jails, install + configure software
- Validate NAS shares + services from client workstations

DONE ... did i missed anything?

I have following questions for which i am not sure about correct answer

Q1: Can i even boot from the LSI SATA ports? I hope so but never actually tried that! If not then i have problem as i need these six Intel ones for copying the pool.

Q2: Which SATA ports to use for what. Currently i have OLD hooked on LSI ports and MIRROR on the Intel ports. There is no system as i have it on USB for now. Once i am done with everything i can see three possibilities:
I - NEW and SYSTEM on LSI , MIRROR on Intel (SATA3 ports)
II - NEW and MIRROR on LSI, system on Intel
III - NEW on LSI, MIRROR (SATA3 ports) and SYSTEM (SATA2 ports) on Intel
//Note: I have one more 12TB disk which i might use as spare, or maybe not. Not decided yet. If i will do then II is out of option. Also i feel that II might overload the controller under heavy load of both pools ?

Q3: I need/want to name the NEW pool the same way as i have the OLD. Meaning there is a name conflict. Can i IMPORT encrypted pool with different name via GUI or do i need to use CLI? Or should i rename the OLD pool name during preparation phase so i don't have to bother with this later on?
Code:
zpool export blabla
zpool import blabla blablaold
zpool export blablaold
zpool import blablaold

Q4: What driver for LSI 2308 the FreeNAS 11.2 has? The Supermicro FTP has "v20" as a latest one (which i already have - 20.00.04.00) but i remember something about v21 and related issues back in the day? Not sure

That's all for now. Thanks for any valuable input :]

Alex

Last edited:

Jessep

Patron
9.10 -> 11.1 U7 -> 11.2 U7

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
9.10 -> 11.1 U7 -> 11.2 U7
Well as stated above i am going with fresh install on SSD (keeping the "current" USB stick as a fall-back plan)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Q1: yes unless you followed common advice to "omit" the BIOS, which is bad advice IMO.
Q2: LSI ports will be marginally slower.
Q3: No idea
Q4: You actually need 20.00.07.00; there's some bug with 20.00.04.00 that I don't recall offhand.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
@jgreco thanks :]

Q1: Yea i saw that odd "warning" on Supermicro pages. I am planning to update anyway.
Q2: I don't care much for the RAIDZ2 as it is an "Archive/Backup" storage. Few secs/mins here and there are OK.
Q3: I guess i'll try to ... export from GUI, import/rename from console, then export from console and then i assume the import from GUI should pick the new name... I'll try this on the mirrored pool (once i backup all data there :D)
Q4: Aha, okay will take a look on that one!