My HDD not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozee89

Dabbler
Installed FreeNAS on my first HDD 500 GB in size I would like to configure the second drive as RAID 1 but the problem the drive is not listed in the storage menu and I cannot add it, anyone had this issue?

Note: There is nothing wrong with the second drive sikev I can view and format it in Gparted.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bozee89

Dabbler
I checked the FreeNAS document before I post such a thing.

FreeNAS can't store or see the default HDD that FreeNAS been installed in storage should be in a separate HDD

gpsguy

Since you now understand the issue, consider putting FreeNAS on a flash drive. Then you can use your HDD's in a mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bozee89

Dabbler
I am wondering if it's possible to create a share in /mnt/sharename/

I have been trying but with no luck I have around 500 GB of files.

bozee89

Dabbler
I know it sounds strange... I'll take a picture tomorrow and show you what I mean.

bozee89

Dabbler
Yes, you are right I am mistaken I got confused after playing around with different HDD and tested things.

Usually when I create datasets and shares I end up with one main share and inside this share I got parent shares.

For example when I enter the ip address of my freenas I see the main share I have created but I cannot see the rest of the shares I have created since they are parent of the first share, I have only one main share and I can't create another one.

I am sure I didn't structured them in this way, they just seem to appear inside the main share and I have no control of it. I tried to install a different HDD and created the same settings and folder/share structure, when I enter my freenas's IP address I am able to see the main shares I created and I am not restricted of using one main share.

The problem is quite simple, I am not able to create more than one main share. However, this problem is solved when I installed a different HDD, is there anyway to solve my issue, copying 500 GB of files to my second HDD doesn't seems the best solution.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A share is nothing more than a pointer and a name to 1 or more directories on your volume or dataset.

You have provided no info to help troubleshoot this for you. I have no idea what you mean.

You can create many shares, and point them to wherever you like in your pool, and they will show up when browsing the server from a client. That's just how CIFS works. There is nothing special you need to do for that.

We need more info, because what you're trying to do is a standard feature of CIFS/samba

bozee89

Dabbler
Usually I create a dataset and navigate to Windows share in freenas to map the dataset I created.

This is how I do my shares, I create my dataset with all the settings needed then create a share for my dataset.

I'll spend more time checking the problems then report back.

maglin

Patron
If you mean you are making datasets inside another dataset I believe the share is only pointing to one dataset and you won't see another dataset inside that share.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you mean you are making datasets inside another dataset I believe the share is only pointing to one dataset and you won't see another dataset inside that share.

Shares work fine at the root of a 'parent dataset'. I have one set up at the root of my pool so that I can admin all the things. ;)

bozee89

Dabbler

9c18fd70c392dd8b9b1fc03c77a4a650.jpg

now the share started to appear without any problems, I didn't tweak anything beside installing another HDD as previously mentioned.

dd5ae9373e50212f8f4efd0bb5e131a1.jpg

This is what I see inside the main share, the first 4 folders are the folders created in Windows 10 without using freenas. However, sec1 is created using freenas and now it's appearing inside my main share and outside the main share at the same time.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
9c18fd70c392dd8b9b1fc03c77a4a650.jpg

now the share started to appear without any problems, I didn't tweak anything beside installing another HDD as previously mentioned.

dd5ae9373e50212f8f4efd0bb5e131a1.jpg

This is what I see inside the main share, the first 4 folders are the folders created in Windows 10 without using freenas. However, sec1 is created using freenas and now it's appearing inside my main share and outside the main share at the same time.

You are quite confused as to what is a dataset and what is a directory.

You shared out the 'Secretary' dataset. Inside this dataset you have another dataset, called sec1 (this is not a folder/directory, it is a dataset). The other things you created are DIRECTORIES, these are not datasets. Sharing the ROOT dataset/volume will share EVERYTHING in it, whether it is a dataset or a directory.

It would appear you ALSO created a share for sec1 which is, again, a dataset within Secretary. Please show us your windows shares page in freenas, I am guessing that we will see this.

You need to organize and plan your shares better.

PS. Use screenshots. Phone pics suck

bozee89

Dabbler
When do I need to create a dataset and when do I need to create a share?

bozee89

Dabbler
I'll use virtual machine in my personal laptop and reconfigure everything from the start, I need this freenas in my work.

ethereal

Guru

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
When do I need to create a dataset and when do I need to create a share?

You create a share whenever you want to share out a dataset or directory.

A dataset does NOT have to equal a share...

I would do something like
Main volume
-Department 1
-Department 2
-Department 3
-Users
-Shared
-Public

Or something like that, where each of those is a dataset and a share. Each one would have its own permissions settings based on the department that owns it, and the public would allow all to read/write

Status
Not open for further replies.