My FreeNAS has real slow speed with explicit FTP over TLS

s1000

Cadet
Maybe someone solved a similar problem with ftp performance.
Perhaps someone can advise how to debug this problem
I have...
FTP upload 100 mb/sec
FTP download 95 mb/sec
Explicit FTP over TLS upload 44 mb/sec
Explicit FTP over TLS download 1.6 mb/sec

On a virtual server, the same version of FreeNAS with the same parameters and SSL sertificates doesn't have this problem.
I tried different operating systems, different software on the client's side, I got slightly different performance, but there is a similar problem in all variants - catastrophic low download performance with FTP over TLS

FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2 (1e9dd3b3e2)

itskando

Contributor
I might be having the same problem, just posted here:

How did you test between methods?

itskando

Contributor
Ah crud. I have Services:FTP:TLS:disabled and I still have roughly the same download rate.

s1000

Cadet
I tried to install FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1 on another server with a different set of equipment.
Problem still exists.
I used default configuration, I just turned on the TLS
I upgraded the system to 12 beta, but the problem persists.
I installed a FreeBSD 11.3 on this server and installed the proftpd from package with same configs, the problem remained.
I tried use default configs, diferent certificates, but the problem remained.
I installed vsftpd-ssl-3.0.3_2 and the problem disappeared, - FTP over TLS works quickly.
But it is impossible to install vsftpd in the FreeNAS

Why is no one worried about this problem?

May be am I doing something wrong?

I tested it with this comands:

Code:
wget  --ftp-user=ntest --ftp-password=o7HI8Q9GNpaNzv  ftp://<hostname>:21/100mb.bin
110MB/s
wget  --ftp-user=ntest --ftp-password=o7HI8Q9GNpaNzv  ftps://<hostname>:21/100mb.bin
The best result 7.57MB/s

to itskando:
Your problem is more like a network problem.
My problem is at the application level

Last edited:

itskando

Contributor
I haven't been proactive about this, but from my thread:

Alright, one thing I tried is connecting remotely over internet — I get the same exact speeds.
I feel like I'm not getting the benefit of connecting via LAN when I'm at home.

(Server is running openVPN but I thought I bypass that automatically when connecting on LAN.)

feanorian

Cadet
Experiencing the same issue on 11.3-U5. Probably past time to file a bug report...

feanorian

Cadet
Experiencing the same issue on 11.3-U5. Probably past time to file a bug report...

I mean. I don't know. Could it be the NIC? The one on my server is a Mellanox ConnectX-2, but I'd be surprised if we were all using the same one,. I thnk one of you already mentioned using a gigabit NIC, so that already points to it being different (ConnectX-2 is 10G). Otherwise, tried with 2048 and 4096 keys, same result. Tried specifically using SSD pool, same result: nothing faster than 250-300KiB/s.

feanorian

Cadet
This does not appear to be a problem with the NIC (a far-fetched speculation at any rate). Setting up pure-ftpd in a jail, I easily get 120MiB peak off of my main spinning-rust pool.