my FreeNAS-9.10.2-U5 is sending SPAM Mails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jochynek

Cadet
Hi,

I got abuse messgages concerning my FreeNas Box. It is sending out SPAM and is on a Spamhaus block list.
I did not configure an SMTP-Server. I am using our Mailserver to send mails so I am a bit unsure how this came about. I searched the Internet and this forum but found nothing helpful far.

Is this a known problem? Any solution or advice for this? I am more of a linux guy than FreeBSD unfortunately.

Thx in advance"

Artion

Patron
Have you considered reporting a bug at bugs.freenas.org?
Also, could you be more specific: configuration, specs, etc.

chrisada

Explorer
What plugins & jails do you have running? I highly doubt the spam were from FreeNAS directly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jochynek

Cadet
I have a pretty basic Setup. I installed own cloud plugin, but it is not running.
Other than that. Other than that I am running FTP, iSCSI, NFS, SMART and SSH services on the box.

It seems like my FreeNAS box is an open relay. Is an SMTP server installed by default and if so, which and why?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is an SMTP server installed by default
No, it isn't. But how would it be relaying anyway? Is it exposed directly to the Internet? Not behind a firewall?

Jochynek

Cadet
yes, it is exposed to the INet, it is just a backup machine, no sensual data there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Then the odds are very good it's compromised in many ways--FreeNAS is not designed or hardened to be exposed to the Internet. Back up your config, do a clean install, restore config, and put the machine behind a firewall.

Artion

Patron
yes, it is exposed to the INet, it is just a backup machine, no sensual data there.
Well, when a machine is exposed to the internet one have to ask what others can do with it, not just if it's important to him...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.