My first build repurposing server hardware for future AI use case

chmod777

Dabbler
I have been reading these forums for awhile now learning all about zfs and have decided to finally move forward. This build proposal is going to sound a bit crazy and mismatched, but it is only because I am trying to reuse server parts I got on the cheap. A friend sold me his Intel 3rd gen Ice Lake (8360) for super cheap along with some ddr4 ecc memory so I am trying to figure out how to use it. It seems overkill for a nas build but would the following work? Black Friday is coming up so I hope to buy six (18tb to 22tb) drives depending on sales. I found a Tyan server motherboard with IPMI that can run this processor for only $300. Originally these were $900 boards but it is for a 2 year old processor.

My use case is primarily as a plex server and to store pics/videos that are personal. I want a ton of storage and plan to backup to external usb drives occasionally as well as my most important stuff online and encrypted. I don't expect the system to get a ton of heavy usage so the storage performance isn't as important as data redundancy so I don't have to deal with trying to restore from backups. I plan to add up to four 4k cameras to record h.265 compressed videos to the storage as some point next year. I also plan to add a GPU to do AI video object detection on my cameras, but initially I won't have that. Unfortunately, in my house I only have 1Gbit networking. The house has 20 year old cat5 cables, so it is lucky I can even get Gbit. This somewhat complicates how I will do video recording and networking so that I am not congesting my network for everything. I have some ideas on how to redo the networking that I will deal with in the future. I know this system is way over powered for my use case, but if I can do AI object detection using just CPU cores on a smaller video that might make it so I don't ever even need a GPU.

Case: Fractal Design R4 -- This is my case from 12 years ago but other than a few dents is good enough. I am going to add another fan to the back of the case to pull air through better.
Board: TYAN S5642AGM3NRE-2T SSI CEB Server Motherboard LGA 4189 Intel C621A I checked forums online and measured and think this will fit my case. It has a dedicated mgmt port.
Power Supply: 1200w EVGA -- A bit of overkill but I already have it from another build I did not finish.
CPU: Intel Ice Lake (8360)
CPU fan: Not sure but I'll get something that fits the 4189 socket. I couldn't find a water cooling solution for this.
GPU: Nothing for now but hope to add something in the future.
Memory: 128GB ddr4 ECC
Drives: TBD but I am initially planning 6 x 20tb in a raidz2 setup.
Cables: Pretty sure I will need two of the mini SAS to 4 Sata cables.

Software Setup
I plan to use Truenas Scale. I plan to start with my 6 drive array as a raidz2 in just one vdev. If I ever need more storage I hope that the raidz expansion is fully integrated and working. At that point I will just add another disk or two and expand the vdev. That probably won't happen for 3 years or so. If a drive ever goes bad, I will just buy a new one online and replace hoping that 2 more drives don't fail in the meantime.

The one big open I have is the boot drive and some of the more advanced zfs setups. I have a 600GB SSD I will use for that. I've not really researched this part yet to see if there is anything I really need to do. I saw some people will use a drive as a cache for ZFS. That part is a little fuzzy to me that I think I can figure out once I start setting everything up.

Is there anything I am missing in this? I've never build a NAS storage server. I think this setup is going to cost me less than a similar Qnap/Synology enclosure with 6 bays but with way more performance, expansion capability, and of course power consumption will be higher as well as the overall system bigger and noisier.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
At what point did it become cool to have the Surveillance State Starter Kit with Dissentor Recognition Software included! at home as a side project?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also, can we as a society stop calling automatic image segmentation and characterization "AI"?

This is a very esoteric requirement, and "it'll be a NAS" sounds incidental. Seems like you might rather put together a beast server with a high-end GPU and specialized software, then supplement it with something more modest to simply hold the data like a traditional archival NAS.

I'm not sure if this "GPU-accelerated A.I. object detection" is meant for "after-the-fact" or real-time?

chmod777

Dabbler
Well I don't know if I'll ever get around to doing the AI thing. It isn't anything nefarious. I just want to know when dogs poop in my yard.

Really I'm just trying to do everything as inexpensive as possible. I've already got a case and power supply and other parts so I'm trying to make this work. If I can open up some new cool use cases in the future, I want to explore that but the most important thing is reliable storage.

Everything looks fine. As long as you're not willy nilly using "RAID" or an HBA not flashed to IT mode, everything seems peachy.

As for streaming from Plex or Jellyfin? The requirements are surprisingly minimal. Even a decent PC with a gigabit network card will suffice. If you're not going to use on-the-fly transcoding, then you don't need a powerful GPU anyways. The real "work" is done on the client or smart TV. The server simply reads from the drives and sends data over the network.

I've not really researched this part yet to see if there is anything I really need to do. I saw some people will use a drive as a cache for ZFS.
With 128GB of RAM, don't even worry about a "ZFS cache". You probably don't need it, and if you did add one, you probably won't notice much of a difference. (It's technically known as the "level 2 ARC", aka the "L2ARC".) You can always add one later. Key word: later. No reason to rush into it before you even bump into a legitimate problem.

chmod777

Dabbler
Thanks for your advice. I'm feeling better about this setup and now just need to find the right drives. Perfect timing right before Black Friday.