mv command filling drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I used the mv command to move the contents of a directory into a different directory. The reason being is that I erroneously made a directory in Windows directly under the volume. So I created a dataset and use mv /* to move the contents into the dataset.

The problem is that this process has completely filled my drive.... My assumption was that the mv command would not result in an increase in the amount of storage used. Before I executed the command, I had roughly 2TB remaining on the drive. I woke up this morning with only 32MB remaining, and the move process has stopped.

The old directory shows 3.36TB being used, and the new one shows 1.8TB being used. On an 8TB drive (formatted to 7.2TB) that means I should have the the roughly 2TB left that I started with.

So, the question is: what happened to those 2TB?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sounds like your drive filled up before the move could be completed.

oguruma

Patron
Sounds like your drive filled up before the move could be completed.

It seems so, however it moves one file at a time does it not?

If the command moves the files one file at a time, what is occupying the "missing storage" space in the meantime?

I haven't been able to find a direct answer to this, but does mv write and then delete the "old" copy? If so, where does one find the "old" copy to permanently delete it?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It does write and then delete but I don't know if that deletion takes place after the entire move is done or as each file is written. It looks as if it deletes after the move is complete based on your results.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I can confirm from past experience that it seemed to keep all files in the origin until the end of the mv.

Maybe it's more a factor of the way that zfs handles the release of no-longer-needed storage to free space, but I've seen these same symptoms before.

oguruma

Patron
I can confirm from past experience that it seemed to keep all files in the origin until the end of the mv.

Maybe it's more a factor of the way that zfs handles the release of no-longer-needed storage to free space, but I've seen these same symptoms before.

Interesting... so any idea where are the quasi-deleted files? ls on both the source and destination directories makes it look like the deletion has occurred from the source with the same number of files in total...

How does one proceed from this point? Is there a way to tell ZFS to delete the files its been hanging on to?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Snapshots?

oguruma

Patron
Snapshots?

To no avail. I rolled back to a snapshot from 3 days ago (I started the mv yesterday) and I still show the drive at 99% full. The UI indicated "rollback successful". The source destination has been rolled back to containing all of the files, but the disk is still 99% full (in its rolled-back state it should be about 70% full). The destination directory shows that the files have been removed, however the disk is doesn't indicate the same.

In other words, the rollback makes the directory appear as if it was rolled back, but there is still 2TB lost to the ether....

A reboot and another attempt at rolling back yields the same results.

Last edited:

sretalla