Multiple VPN connections?

Joefis

Cadet
Not sure how I haven’t been able to find any discussion on this- but why can’t both myself and my employee connect to the server using openVPN simultaneously?
Both users can connect and access files just fine, but we can’t remotely connect at the same time. The server gives both clients the same ip- 192.168.1.2. What am I missing? What info do you need from me to be able to help?
Thank you!

zgn

Cadet
Not sure how I haven’t been able to find any discussion on this- but why can’t both myself and my employee connect to the server using openVPN simultaneously?
Both users can connect and access files just fine, but we can’t remotely connect at the same time. The server gives both clients the same ip- 192.168.1.2. What am I missing? What info do you need from me to be able to help?
Thank you!
You need to have duplicate-cn in the additional parameters.

zgn

Cadet
That allows multiple connections but I'm still having an issue when more than one user connects only the 1st user is routed properly. the second connection does not have access to the lan or anything on the client network.

carol

Cadet
That allows multiple connections but I'm still having an issue when more than one user connects only the 1st user is routed properly. the second connection does not have access to the lan or anything on the client network.
Very same issue here, sad to see that nobody have answer for this.

carol

Cadet
I have the same issue here, can connect, get different ip's but the second connection and so on doesn't get internet, duplicate-cn doesn't change anything.
Anyone has a fix for this bug?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This sounds very much like bad networking design. I'm extremely familiar with OpenVPN but not what's going on in this particular implementation. You can connect dozens or even hundreds of simultaneous clients when things are set up correctly.

Duplicate CN's may be causing the same IP to be allocated to multiple clients, which will not work that well (or at all). Make sure you do not have --duplicate-cn set.

carol

Cadet
This sounds very much like bad networking design. I'm extremely familiar with OpenVPN but not what's going on in this particular implementation. You can connect dozens or even hundreds of simultaneous clients when things are set up correctly.

Duplicate CN's may be causing the same IP to be allocated to multiple clients, which will not work that well (or at all). Make sure you do not have --duplicate-cn set.
Yes, I have openvpn in on server and it work like a charm but with Truenas is is doesn't run very smoothly for some reasons. I did remove duplicate-cn but the problem stays, can connect but no internet access for the other clients.

feron

Cadet
I have the same issue. Is there decision? The users are connected perfectly with different ip addresses but only the first one has access to the truenas share.

GunbleR

Dabbler
Each client certificate should have different CN, which identifies the client.
Imho help tooltip in certificate creation should say it aswell, instead of just saying its "fully-qualified hostname (FQDN) of the system" (for not daily sys-admins)

feron

Cadet
The certificates are with different common names. It is really strange case. Is it possible to have limitation of the openvpn?
1664047383061.png