FreeNAS Access from VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

auralsun

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I have a FreeNAS server on my work network, and I am trying to figure out how to make it accessible to OpenVPN clients.

The private IP address of FreeNAS is 192.168.1.11.

The IP address of home computer when logging into my work network via OpenVPN is 172.16.0.5.

I am able to fully access FreeNAS from any device on the 192.168.1.*** subnet.

I am unable to access FreeNAS in any way from the VPN. I can't ping or SSH into 192.168.11, nor can I map the drive or access the web interface. I've also tried connecting to the FreeNAS domain, and using a port forward for our Untangle firewall to connect via SFTP. Nothing works.

Firewall is Untangle. VPN Server is OpenVPN. I experienced the same issue when we were using PFSense and PPTP. I tried adding 172.16.0.5 as an "Allowed Host" for my share and that didn't work either.

I've tried fiddling with FreeNAS settings, but I'm sure I'm overlooking something terribly obvious. Please help!

(Using FreeNAS 8.2.0)

Thanks in advance!!

bollar

Patron
I would think that the VPN and FreeNAS would need to be on the same subnet. I use VPN and connect fine to FreeNAS, but I assign VPN IPs in the 192.168.0.200-220 range and my FreeNAS is on 192.168.0.10 with a mask of 255.255.255.0

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
VPN and FreeNAS do not need to be on the same subnet.

Make sure that your Untangle OpenVPN is exporting your internal network to the client. If you need some help with that, you can find me over in the Untangle forums too.

auralsun

Dabbler
I don't see a functional way for Untangle OpenVPN to lease IPs on the same subnet as the other devices on my network.

I do have OpenVPN exporting my internal network, and all of my network devices on the 192.168.1.*** subnet are accessible except FreeNAS, which gives me the impression that FreeNAS is configured to reject traffic from IPs not on its own subnet.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS has no firewall. If its not working it is something indirectly related to your FreeNAS server. I'd check your VPN settings and see if something there is blocking it. In any, I'm not sure what could possibly be blamed on FreeNAS for what you are seeing.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
verify that your FreeNAS box actually has a default gateway. I have seen issues of other network devices being accessible on local network, but not across subnets because someone forgot to set the default gateway

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Crazy! Added a wrinkle to my brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.