Multiple NIC question

kingtj

Dabbler
I'm sure this has been asked and answered in one form or another already ... but the answers I've found online so far seem overly complex or not quite applicable to my situation.

Scenario is, I have a FreeNAS 11.3 box running on an HP Proliant G8 rack server with 4 NIC cards built into it. Until now, I've had it configured so only the first one is active (bge0), and several Jails on it receive their own IP addresses via DHCP from my Netgear Orbi router. (Router assigns specific IPs to them based on their MAC addresses.)

What I'd like to do, though, is get the bge1 NIC to handle all the traffic from specific jails, such as the one running my Plex server, while other traffic continues to go over bge0 like it does now. Maybe even get bge2 to specifically handle traffic from my NextCloud jail?

I *think* I just achieved this by creating a "bridge0" bridge and putting only the bge1 NIC into it. Then, it looks like all my jails started defaulting to using bridge0 as their default device to communicate over, with the option to redirect a jail to use bge0 instead. (Would assume I could create a "bridge1" bridge with only bge2 NIC as a member in it, and then point a specific jail to use bridge1, to make it communicate only via that NIC card too?)

Is this a correct/sensible solution?

And as a second question? If I have a second FreeNAS server set up that's simply configured to do data replications on a schedule as backups for the main one ... can I connect a patch cable directly between a NIC or NICs on the two and have that traffic flow exclusively between the NICs?

Redcoat

MVP
And as a second question? If I have a second FreeNAS server set up that's simply configured to do data replications on a schedule as backups for the main one ... can I connect a patch cable directly between a NIC or NICs on the two and have that traffic flow exclusively between the NICs?
This you can do - I have replication running this minute in just that configuration. Spec the two IP's on a different subnet from the IP's of the primary machines.