Multiple Jails or Single Jail with multiple applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys... So, Ive got my FreeNAS up and running smooth with Couchpotato, Sonarr, Transmission, Headphones, SabNzbd... all as separate jails (And MySQL running in my Sonarr jail)... I can't get Jackett to work (have tried unsuccessfully with all of my jails)... anyway, thats not the point... ill figure it out some other time :)

Question is... is there any benefit to running all the jails separately? or is there a benefit to combining them all into one jail... say, Install 1 jail (sonar... ) then install all other applications in that jail? (I can see a benefit of not chewing up 9 IP addresses... but otherwise, is there any real benefit)?

Thanks for any input.

millst

Contributor
Biggest benefit would be security. Isolating each app into a different jail compartmentalizes them. An attack on one app does not compromise the other apps. Each jail only needs the packages required for that app so you get multiple small attack surfaces instead of one large one. There may be some increased reliability due to the isolation, too.

Conversely, you are increasing maintenance effort and consuming more resources. I doubt the latter is much to worry about since jails are lightweight.

-tm

Status
Not open for further replies.